GSA and SASH spread message

Maddie Kindig, Reporter

Whether it’s passing out lollipops with inspiring messages attached, hanging up posters, or creating a Spirit Week., Gay Straight Alliance and Students Achieving Social Harmony have made a definite impression on the student body.

They used “Ally Week,” a week dedicated to encouraging students to be “allies” by speaking out against LGBT bullying and harassment as a way to promote acceptance and positivity and to spark conversation amongst students.

The two clubs have united with the similar objective to promote acceptance of all races, genders, sexualities, cultures and religions because the first step to living in harmony is learning to honor diversity.

The idea is not to shove their opinions down people’s throats or to tell people that the way that they think is wrong. They are simply trying to create an awareness to open people’s eyes and minds to mistreatment.

As one staff member said, “Everyone deserves to be treated with compassion.”

Another staff member said that equality and positivity are two of the most important ideals, and that’s why what GSA and SASH are doing is so important.

An idea one staff member had for what GSA and SASH should do to next to further spread their message is to hold an assembly that promotes acceptance to the school.

Two other staff members said that the clubs should get more people involved from all types of friend groups.