Production relays what students want to say

Senior Jaimeson Satterfield plays one of his many characters during the “What I Want to say but Never Will” dress rehearsal. The group of seventeen cast members held this rehearsal on Sept. 6. With only one tech student and seventeen staff members, the full production was able to run on Sept. 7 & 9. The show was about different responses from students across the United States that they want to say but won’t.

Hanna Alemu, Reporter

Seventeen cast members performed the show “What I Want to Say but Never Will” on Sept. 7 & 9 in the Black Box Theatre.

The show was a culmination of real submitted responses from students across the United States who had something they wanted to say but never would, each response ranging from hilarious to serious.

Amy Hastings, director and Chisholm Trail Middle School theatre teacher, said she chose this production because of its uniqueness and its easy relatability.

The main message of this play was summed up by Hastings, who said, “there’s a quote in the play that says ‘everyone is fighting a battle you know nothing about.’”

Each cast member, apart from Leah Tariku and Zoe Kincaid, sophomores, played a multitude of characters. Tariku and Kincaid both played the role of the playwright within the production, as instructed by the playwright himself.

Hastings said her goal was to “cast as many people as possible,” even if they were inexperienced, since the play is “so easy to relate to.”

The show consisted of many differing topics, from feeling invisible and stealing a stoplight to being secretly depressed and having a father who brushes past his child’s problems.

One monologue, performed by Aliyah Pullin, freshman, dealt with a girl “telling” a friend’s mother to stop abusing her children. Pullin expressed her love for the role and how she had to “dig deep” to understand her character.

Pullin is new to the theatre scene and said she wanted to “audition for this” production “right when she got into high school.”

Kylie Flymn, senior, auditioned for this production after being convinced by her friend, Jenny Sun, senior. Flymn’s favorite role was confessing that she grew apart from her friend.

Flymn said the hardest aspect of her role was “to make the people feel how I’m feeling. It’s hard to get the audience to connect.”

Sun joined this production to become more involved in theatre after being in one production her previous year. One role Sun enjoyed was a girl who could not confess sleeping with her boyfriend to her mother.

“I related to the stress of telling your parents something they don’t want to hear,” Sun said.

Sun thought the following words from the play convey its theme: “always know you are never alone in your thoughts.”

Pullin thought these words from the play conveyed the theme: “Everyone is dealing with their own situation so be careful what you say.”