DeMaree recognized as Administrator of the Year by the Kansas Scholastic Press Association

The annual award honors one administrator who supports student voices and fosters a culture of respect and growth where students feel heard and valued.

Dr. Sean DeMaree has been recognized as KSPA’s Administrator of the Year after journalism students and their adviser secretly nominated him.

“[I was] really just kind of speechless, obviously I had no idea,” DeMaree said. “I was told I was coming down here to take care of a potential article that needs to be reviewed before we’re going to publish.”

DeMaree works to make sure that the journalism program gets the support that they are needing. One way is by helping journalism advisor Heather Springer spread awareness about the group and help them reach their fullest potential.

“We’re increasing classes next year and course offerings for classes like journalism,” DeMaree said. “[I’m] helping Springer promote to middle schools about what’s going on and why you should do it.”

DeMaree also believes it’s important to show Springer that what she does matters and is just as important as the bigger departments’ work.

“I listen and I give her her space to have a voice. [I] give her the things that she deserves,” DeMaree said. “Not look at her and just go, ‘you’re just one teacher with one subject.’ Like no, your subject matters.”

DeMaree believes that student journalists should have the opportunity to learn how to be a voice for their school and impact their community and their nation
“School is not for me. It’s not for parents, not for teachers, it’s for students,” DeMaree said. “And so I firmly believe that students have a voice in what’s going on in their school.”

DeMaree finds it easy to defend the journalism programs because what’s being published is honest, neutral, and meaningful.

“When you print honesty, it’s hard to argue,” DeMaree said. “And you guys do a great job of maintaining neutrality, which is hard as a journalist.”

DeMaree explains that he thinks the school hasn’t done a great job at teaching students how to have voices and believes that this is a foundation for success in adult life.

“If we as a school don’t teach that, we’re failing our kids,” DeMaree said. “These courses are teaching students how to have a voice and how to do it the right way so people will actually listen to you and you have more power as an adult and that’s just such a strong tool.”

Journalists have great power in the world and DeMaree believes if student journalists can balance what people want to hear and what people who don’t have a voice want to say, they can do great things.

“If you can really balance those two you get into the culture of people whose voices are often marginalized or quieted and you can give an ear to them and put what they want  to hear into writing,” DeMaree said. “you’re creating a movement, creating a cause and giving your writing purpose.”

DeMaree has not been shy about how much he loves the journalism programs and wants them to continue growing.

“I’ve said it to a couple district people [that] I think the best journalists in our district are at Olathe South so I want to keep growing the program,” DeMaree said.

DeMaree has high hopes for the future of the program and wants everyone to know just how passionate he is about journalism in the school.

“I’m just wanting to increase what we offer and make sure people understand that this is valuable at South and something that we are not walking away from,” DeMaree said.

The Kansas Scholastic Press Association does a lot for student journalists in the state of Kansas and DeMaree feels proud that they care so much and make journalism a priority and spread more awareness for the programs.

“I think it’s healthy for our entire community to know what the goals of journalism are in high school as well as how the state foundation supports that because it’s just nice to know that it is a priority of our state,” DeMaree said.

DeMaree is a principal who is supportive of students and makes it a priority that the work the journalism groups do is supported.

“I will be there to support you through the tough times where you write an article that doesn’t go over well, and I’ll be here to celebrate with you when you write something that’s welcomed and loved by everybody,” DeMaree said.