The student news site of Olathe South High School

The Eyrie

The Eyrie

The Eyrie

Polls

Which social media is your favorite right now?

• Instagram (29%, 6 Votes)
  • Facebook (24%, 5 Votes)
  • TikTok (19%, 4 Votes)
  • Twitter (19%, 4 Votes)
  • Snapchat (10%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 21

Loading ... Loading ...

The pandemic that never ends

Staff
A person surrounded by Covid-19 virus

Variants EG.5 and BA.2.86 are the two new variants scientists say are now beginning to grow throughout the country. 

In August, EG.5 became the most dominant variant in the US. EG.5 was identified in February of this year in China, but it was first detected in April. EG.5 also known as Eris doesn’t have new capacities when it comes to contagiousness or symptoms. 

Scientists say that Eris is a severe illness in older adults and people with underlying conditions and doesn’t pose as a substantial threat than any other major variants. Scientist says that the updated booster  “is expected to provide better protection against EG.5 than last year’s shot, which targeted the original coronavirus strain and a much earlier Omicron variant that is only distantly related,” Dana G. Smith, reporter for The New York Times said. 

Another variant, BA.2.86 also known as Pirola, descended from a different Omicron variant which is tied to a few dozen cases of COVID across four continents and is more widespread. Scientists say that this variant carries a lot of mutations meaning that it spikes in protein. Protein is what the virus uses to infect human cells. 

Data was released August 31 on X that China showed BA.2.86 is different from previous versions of the virus and can easily escape antibodies produced in earlier effections more than the EG.5. The updated booster will not be effective against BA.2.86 meaning it may be less infectious than other variants. The first reported United States case was from a sample on August 3 in a lab of the University of Michigan. The second case was reported from a sample on August 10 at the Dulles International Airport in Virginia. The third case was confirmed in Ohio and later on New York became the fourth to report of the new variant. 

Due to variants EG.5 and BA.2.86, schools all over the country have shut down or have switched to online. Two school districts in Kentucky have already begun to announce changing their school year due to the variants. Magoffin County Schools said all schools will close Thursday and Friday due to the widespread illness. Lee County School District announced illness-related closures for Tuesday and Wednesday and non-traditional instruction for Thursday and Friday. Lab test data was reported to the department of Kentucky and confirmed positive COVID-19 results. Runge Independent School District in southern Texas which has 195 students made known that they are doing a weeklong closure due to illness. According to their district’s online COVID-19 tracker, 10 of the district’s 43 staff members were tested positive for COVID-19.

With allergy, cold and flu season starting back up again people are questioning if they have COVID or just a common cold. The COVID-19 symptoms usually start 2 to 14 days after exposure but symptoms of a common cold appear 1 to 3 days after exposure. A common cold is usually harmless when compared to COVID-19. Most people recover from a cold in 3 to 10 days but some can last as long as two or three weeks. When comparing COVID-19 to allergies, allergies are caused by a virus. 

Seasonal allergies are immune system responses triggered by exposure to allergens, such as seasonal tree or grass pollens,” Mayo Clinic Staff stated. When looking at the flu and COVID-19 both are contagious respiratory diseases caused by viruses. They both have similar symptoms and these diseases also can cause no symptoms or cause mild or severe symptoms. The flu symptoms usually appear about 1 to 4 days after exposure. 

With all the sickness and viruses going around the chances of catching a sickness can be really high especially going into the fall season here are some ways you can try and help prevent getting sick: “You want to wash your hands, stay home when you’re sick, [and] cover your cough, things like that,” school nurse Tori Reaves said. If you have been exposed to COVID or you think you may have COVID “the district does have rapid COVID tests that are available free to our students, staff and their families. For students we just need your parents’ permission before you either take the test at school or we [just] send them home to you,” Reaves said.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Eyrie
$115
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Olathe South High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.