The student news site of Olathe South High School

The Eyrie

The Eyrie

The Eyrie

Polls

Which social media is your favorite right now?

• Instagram (29%, 6 Votes)
  • Facebook (24%, 5 Votes)
  • TikTok (19%, 4 Votes)
  • Twitter (19%, 4 Votes)
  • Snapchat (10%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 21

Loading ... Loading ...

SAG-AFTRA Strike, is it over or not?

The longest actor strike in Hollywood history
Beca Ibarra

The longest actor strike in Hollywood history is over. After many proposals for fair pay and money from the media have been denied for the SAG-AFTRA members they have finally gotten a deal. 

On November 9th the SAG-AFTRA members unanimously approved a tentative agreement with the AMPTP. The members of SAG-AFTRA won the fight for their rights to gain money off the shows they’re in and a right to their voice.

Some actors are proud to have witnessed such a long fight and to be a part of history.

SAG-AFTRA’s negotiating team released a twelve-page status report on how many of their proposals have been rejected until now.

The biggest issue actors are facing at the moment is artificial intelligence (AI), most actors believe AI will take their place saying their performers are vulnerable to having all their work replaced by digital replicas, the SAG-AFTRA board has not been addressing them as many actors would like.

“[This deal] safely explore[s] new employment opportunities for their digital voice replicas with industry-leading protections tailored to AI technology, allowing AAA video game studios and other companies working with Replica to access top SAG-AFTRA talent,” SAG-AFTRA said about their deal with Replica studios 

However many others believe AI should be taken out of the picture entirely.

“The fact is that while AI is a real danger to SAG-AFTRA members’ careers, the technology is not ready for prime time. [Right now], the studios have no other choice but to make a deal with you and if SAG doesn’t lock down AI now, 2026 might be too late.” SAG-AFTRA member, David August said before the deal was struck.

The offer before their final agreement to end the strike the AMTP came out with says it was their “Best, last, and final offer” which actors had believed was a tactic to scare them into accepting a horrible offer.

“[They’re using] fear tactics to force you to accept what is usually lower pay, worse accommodation, and lesser billing.” SAG-AFTRA member, Mike Doyle said.

The strikers had become restless and the SAG-AFTRA picked up what they believed was their best deal.

“Many thousands of performers now and into the future will benefit from this work,” SAG-AFTRA said in an Instagram post.

Many are glad the deal with AMPT went through but now they believe there’s a new battle to face with the outcome with Replica Studios.

SAG-AFTRA president Fran Drescher believes that this is the golden age for SAG-AFTRA and that the union has never been more powerful. Now is the union’s time to step into the future.