Abstinence based sex education leaves gaps

Lauri Hoedl, Opinion Editor

Sex Education in Kansas is far outdated and less than informational.

It emphasizes Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage education, when a study from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services shows that as of 2011, 43 percent of Kansas high school students have had sexual intercourse.

Since 43 percent of high school students in Kansas are engaging in sexual intercourse, teaching an Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage education appears unbene cial.

Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage Education is taught in hopes of lowering teen pregnancies and sexual activities.
In the Fiscal Year 2007 the Kansas Department of Health and Environment received $337,110 dollars in federal funding for Abstinence-Only-Until- Marriage.

The Olathe School District, specifically, got $18,400 dollars in funding.

Though the expected outcome was for students to become less sexually active, the results were mostly neutral or negative.

In an evaluation of the Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage Education by the National Coalition to Support Sexuality Education, the reviews explain, “the curricula names numerous negative consequences of premarital sexuality activity and suggest that teens should feel guilty, embarrassed, and ashamed of sexual behavior.”

Abstinence-only education has made students feel as though they have no options and should feel bad about themselves and hopeless for engaging in sexual activity.

Many schools are currently depriving students of education about sex,
when it only results in less educated sex, not less sex.

Advocates for Youth reviewed Comprehensive Sex Education programs and the results were no increase in sexual activity, yet a decrease in unprotected sex, a decrease in teen pregnancies, an increase in monogamy, and an increase in contraception other than condoms.

These results show the importance of educating teenagers about how to engage in sexual activity safely.

Comprehensive Sex Education also teaches teenagers the risks that come along with sexual activity.

Currently, the sex education in Kansas is ignorant to the fact that teens do engage in sexual activities.

By increasing non-abstinence only education, schools are only reducing negative aspects of teens being sexually active.

Abstinence-only education does not prevent students from having sex, it only leaves them uneducated towards safe sex.