The student news site of Olathe South High School

The Eyrie

The Eyrie

The Eyrie

Polls

Which social media is your favorite right now?

• Instagram (29%, 6 Votes)
  • Facebook (24%, 5 Votes)
  • TikTok (19%, 4 Votes)
  • Twitter (19%, 4 Votes)
  • Snapchat (10%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 21

Loading ... Loading ...

Drake’s “For All the Dogs” review

Virginia Beach- Based on popularity on social media platforms this song might be considered “the best”, but I would have to disagree with that opinion. This song contains samples from Frank Ocean that honestly carry this song. Drake’s rapping could not stand without Frank’s sample behind it. It has the repetitive trend of having one decent verse, but the rest of the song is filler that doesn’t add up to one message. The themes range from outrageous comments about describing a woman’s body as “cake” and because she has that cake she should “prolly stick to banking them”, which was clever but lacks relevance to the theme of being able to treat a woman however he wants. (B- to B rating)  

Amen (featuring Teezo Touchdown) – This song adds complexity and an almost R&B feel to the album, which I admire for its ability to put you in a place where you can drive casually down a long street with every single window down. After the beautiful chorus addition of singing flows away, Drake enters this track smoothly ranting on how a man should provide a woman with basic necessities because “you my baby, so I gotta put you in a crib.” The production of this song was executed purposely as more positive and supposed to provide an encouraging theme of being grateful. ( B+ rating.)

Calling for You (featuring 21 Savage)- Any song that 21 is in with Drake, he carries the entire song. It feels as though Drake allows 21 to take the lead in any song they do together. Some similar song examples are Spin Bout U, Jimmy Crooks, and Knife Talk. The beat and background voices repeat a lot throughout the entirety of the song and it doesn’t keep me entertained to want to continue listening to the song. Thankfully, 21 Savage rescues this song halfway through with his verse providing rhyming bars. The beat behind his rapping picks this song up in tempo which gives it a more head nodding vibe. His voice is clear and none of the words are slurred. If Drake wouldn’t have wasted half of the song with a meaningless chorus my rating would be higher, but Calling for You receives a C rating. (If this was determined by 21’s verse alone it would receive at least a B+)

Fear of Heights- I immediately feel nostalgia hearing this song reminding me of Drake’s 2017 album, Views. I admire the slow singing that Drake delivers with a random beat drop. People would most definitely hype themselves up to this song. I wish he would have continued singing like he was in the beginning because it had so much potential to bring back old-singing Drake. (C rating) 

Daylight- This might be one of the worst songs I have ever heard for Drake. All he raps about is “shooting people in daylight” and the only decent line is the very popular “standing on business”. That specific phrase has become very popular on social media platforms and almost makes me feel like the line isn’t as catchy as I first thought. I also don’t understand why Drake would bring his 6-year-old son onto a song where it held no sentimental value. His son did not contribute to the song and only added meaningless blabbing about not talking about [his] man-like, which I guess could be considered meaningful because Drake is “his man”, but it seems like Drake was attempting to use his son for clout. 

First Person (featuring J. Cole)-  Once again, Drake felt like the feature in his song. J. Cole’s one verse outweighs the entirety of “Drake’s song”. I put this in quotation marks because this is his song but Cole should own it with the way he dominated. Cole holds a certain confidence in this song which is unique because he is very humble within the majority of his independent music. Drake’s last verse is average, better than the majority on this album, but the quality is far from exceptional. Two lines in this song by Drake are clever when he states “she call my number, leave her hanging, she got dry-cleaned” which is very catchy but still lacking in the overall flow. This song represents how the majority of his choruses are repetitive and almost ruin the feel of his songs. (B- rating) (If rated only on J. Cole, A-) 

IDGAF- This is also one of the most popular songs on “For All of the Dogs”, which I understand because it has a lot of energy that would make it mainstream. This song reminds me of Lil Uzi Vert or Travis Scott hype music. Drake sounds like he’s cheerleading for Yeat, with his small addition of “money for fun”. Drake’s voice sounds heavily edited for the chorus. Once again, Drake got outdid within his album. Drake’s first verse is mostly nonsense, but again (as we’ve seen a lot through this album) he had two decent bars. The degrading bar that “I hate you boys more than I ever did, you rappin’ bout sh** that you never did” is easily one of the cleanest lines throughout this song. ( B rating)

7969 Santa- I absolutely love the beat of this song and the way Drake enters questioning people and stating things he doesn’t like about women. The chorus gives the illusion of how old Drake used to sing saying that he “just wanna get [them] off of [his] mind”. Half of the song is sung by an unnamed individual which completely shifts the song’s flow, but the singing itself is crisp. (rating B)

Slime You Out- The beautiful track in the background of Drake’s rapping was exactly the vibe I needed within this album. It’s groovy, giving it almost an R&B feel. Sza’s collaboration escalated the treasure that this song embodies. Her voice is so crisp and refreshing within this song, where she sounds effortless when she’s literally ranting about a man. (rating A-)

Bahamas Promises- This is one of my favorite songs on this album, it illuminates singing Drake instead of him rapping the entire song. The theme of this song is very relatable, speaking to a crowd where relationships can be tiring and can ruin activities that should be fun. It’s very peaceful, and reminiscent, where it could make someone cry. If it was raining and I was looking out of a window, it would capture the environmental essence this song reminds me of. 

Tried Our Best- It took me a few listens to truly understand this song, and now that I repeatedly listen to it, I absolutely love it. It ties perfectly with the song right before it is on the album (Bahamas Promises) because he begins speaking about how he wants to go places by himself that he went to while in a relationship. It also alludes to old Drake, in which his flow corresponds with the beat perfectly and someone could say a line casually and someone would think it’s the coolest phrase ever. The chorus also aligns with the beat where an entire car could scream and sing it. (A rating)

Screw the world- interlude- I don’t understand why this interlude was added to the album. It doesn’t match the vibe the rest of the album has. Drake obviously added it to add minutes to his album and for quality. No one would regularly listen to this interlude, other artists might use it in their song for a few seconds, but that’s the largest purpose it might serve. ( D rating)

Drew a Picasso- This song feels very generic and feels like I’ve heard it before on one of Drake’s previous albums. The verse in the middle is the only part that makes the song clear and precise. It’s not a bad song at all, but it’s pretty average, there are a few powerful bars. The bar feels like Drake is confident, putting himself on a higher level than everyone else. (C rating)

Members Only (featuring PARTYNEXDOOR)- This song excites me because PARTNEXTDOOR delivers in every feature he participates in. His first verse is bland until he reaches a catchy bar’ “I’ll take you further than Mexico’ ‘. There’s complexity missing, like when a dish is decent and has a few good bites then you get tired of it. (B- rating)

What would Pluto do- Drake is telling a story through this song, questioning how he can get with a girl in a relationship, which shows how messy of a guy Drake is. He sounds desperate, but the song itself has no problem with it and fans who listen to him normally would probably like it. There’s nothing that special within the song. (C+ rating)

All the Parties-(featuring Chief Keef)- Imagine dancing in a party setting, going up and down, the beginning of this song delivers that atmosphere. I could fall asleep through the rest of the majority of the song. They waited way too long to have the feature because the song drags on. ( C rating)

8 am in Charlotte- This is my favorite song on the album because the lyrics have a certain narcissistic tone that stems from confidence. I could drive down a long city road having this song blasting being contemptuous of any weather that could be outside of my window. The lines contribute to his nickname of (Drizzy Drake) because he just spits so many bars that sound very natural for him and punchy. 

BBL Love- Interlude- This interlude contributes to the album beneficially, and he puts a lot more effort into it. His singing through the majority is smooth and there is a sharp change where he starts rapping through simply speaking. Many different aspects will please different kinds of Drake fans whether they like his singing or rapping. ( B rating)

Gently featuring Bad Bunny- I danced through the entirety of this song, the vibe commands movement whether it is head bobbing or moving side to side. This added much-needed variety to the album, and a majority of people will probably dislike the song but as someone who admires Spanish music, it was so catchy.  (B+ rating)

Rich Baby Daddy- This song disgusts me in a way. My reasoning is not because of Sexy Reds’ very intimate descriptions, but because I listen to artists like Tory Lanez who rant sexually, but her addition felt so irrelevant. I’m not a fan of her music, and think her career will be short-lived, and was only hyped up because of the dances created on Tiktok. Overall I find this song to be simply annoying, but SZA sounds great in whatever song she is in. 

Another Late Night ((featuring Lil. Yachty)- This track is very catchy, but Drake isn’t saying anything of substance through the first verse. I admire Lil Yatchy, as an artist and he added his twisted lines to this. I wish it had more variety to the song because it sounded very repetitive, but it wasn’t bad by any means. (B- rating)

Away from home- This song is the perfect example of a song that’ll get forgotten about because it sounds very typical. It won’t be added to my playlist because he doesn’t have any bars that catch my attention. (D rating)

Polar Opposites- Drake has a continuing storyline through three songs on this album about taking a female on a vacation, where the woman ruins the experience for Drake. Polar opposites follows this theme beginning with a reference to a girl tweaking on vacation. This song is sappy but in a good way, where someone would reminisce and shed a tear thinking about their ex. He’s singing throughout the song, and he sounds sad achieving the message of the song. I love it when Drake has a true story or occurrence in his songs because it makes it more relatable to the listener. (B rating)