The student news site of Olathe South High School

The Eyrie

The Eyrie

The Eyrie

Polls

Which social media is your favorite right now?

• Instagram (29%, 6 Votes)
  • Facebook (24%, 5 Votes)
  • TikTok (19%, 4 Votes)
  • Twitter (19%, 4 Votes)
  • Snapchat (10%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 21

Loading ... Loading ...

The domino affect of ADHD

My opinion on how the ADHD lawsuit is effecting people
The domino affect of ADHD

Starting medication for anything is like playing a game of Monopoly. You and your doctor metaphorically roll a dice on what medication will work for you and hope it doesn’t cause you to have to go back to the beginning. 

I recently have had to roll that metaphorical dice, and the journey has had ups and downs. For those who don’t know when starting anxiety medication, it takes about six weeks to even see if it works. After six weeks you go straight to your doctor and you talk, sometimes you get a “yay! Your meds are working, let’s keep it”, or you can get “unfortunately we have to find new meds for you to come back in yet another six weeks.”

Having to go through this is not fun, it is scary not knowing what will help you and having to wait six weeks to see if your medication is working. It’s overall daunting to me having to go through this process. I dislike the feeling of the unknown and I bet everybody having to wait for their ADHD medication agrees with me. Nobody likes waiting for things when they just want to move on with their lives.
The DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) lawsuit has been causing many issues and making people wait for answers. Imagine waiting six weeks just to be told you have to try again and wait another six weeks. It is heartbreaking having to wait so long to find what works and right when you do find what works it doesn’t end there. You have to get a refill for those meds, I am frustrated for others who do not have access to the meds they need to function. 

This lawsuit has caused many to wait even longer to get what they need to function. It is not okay that people with medication needs are having to wait. Living with ADHD is already incredibly frustrating and having this added-on stress is ten times more frustrating. All the hoops someone has to jump through just to get what they need affect their quality of life. 

It is overall a frustrating journey to deal with that is filled with many obstacles that demand someone’s full attention to get through. This DEA lawsuit needs to be solved so others and I can continue getting what we need to function. For someone dealing with this problem, I hope you don’t feel alone because you are not. Continue fighting for a better quality of life and continue trying to find what works even if it is frustrating, remember there is a light at the end of the tunnel.