Scholars’ Bowl Is buzzing with activity

Megan Pham, Reporter

The Scholars’ Bowl team is buzzing with activity as they already attended three matches in December and have five planned for January.

In December, one of their matches was at Turner High School and the varsity team won first place.

The team’s first match of January was at Lansing High School and varsity won fourth.

“Scholars’ Bowl has two different teams; one is varsity and the other one is junior varsity,” Helen Hardgree, sponsor, said.

The varsity team mainly consists of Nick Hinman, Connor Horn, Drake Minter, and Kyle Wetter, seniors. Though occasionally they have other people for replacement if one of the members is gone.

The junior varsity won fourth at Lawrence High School and varsity got first at Piper High School.

“We’re pretty good at answering the questions, most of the time,” Horn said.

Feb. 2 is when the Scholars’ Bowl team goes to regionals at Lawrence Free State High School and on Feb 11 is the state competition, but only the top three teams from each reigonal are eligible to go.

Scholars’ Bowl is a quiz game that tests its players on a variety of academic subjects. Teams of usually five or four students face each other by trying to score points by answering questions and trying to get them right.

The hardest questions Minter thought were the ones about composers and their nationality.

“They say the questions only once and you have to keep it in your mind. It’s pretty difficult,” Hardgree said.

The team practices in room 906 every Friday. Horn recommends going to practice and meets for anyone interested.