News Briefs- April

DECA

The DECA  team went to the Kansas State Career Development Conference on March 6. Two teams and  an individual qualified for nationals on April 23.

Megan Myers and Luke Wardel, seniors, placed first in Role Play for Business Law and Ethics Team Decision Making

Greg Walker and Taylor Allen, seniors, placed third overall for Sports and Entertainment Team Decision Making.

Forensics

It has been a big week for the forensics team.

Several of the students placed at the competition.

Alice Kogo, sophomore, placed fifth in Non-Qualifying House, Nathan Enserro, senior, placed fourth, and Hailey Kinzer, senior, placed second.

In Novice House, Micah Leckliter, freshman, placed fourth, and Kogo placed third.

Other placements were Troy Curfman, senior, who placed second in Informative Speaking and Humorous Solo Acting.

As a whole, the team is proud of how well they performed this past weekend and they hope to do even better next weekend.

Science Olympiad

Science Olympiad placed 12th out of the 30 teams in the State Science Olympiad competition on April 2 at Wichita State University.

Out of the 25 events, the team placed in the top 10 for the following subjects:  Cell Biology, Forensics, Green Generation, Hydrogeology and Invasive Species.

Since two people contribute to each event, approximately 10 students won these places.

The team, led by Don Meier, science teacher, left at 4 p.m. and spent the night in Wichita, Kan. They competed the next day.

Qualification for state came from a sixth place win during the regionals competition.