PCA visits Kansas Supreme Court

Rachel Pierson, Reporter

PCA went on a field trip to the Kansas Supreme Court in Topeka, Kan. on Monday, Jan. 25. The trip included many activities regarding legal studies.

Some of those activities were witnessing oral arguments and the appeal process and listening to judges speak about certain cases.

“I feel this experience helped me prepare for the field because it gave me more background on the legal system,” Troy Curfman, senior, said.

The 15 students in attendance were at the Supreme Court all day, and in addition to witnessing oral arguments, PCA members toured the Supreme Court building and a tour of the capital.

“They saw what actual attorneys do and how stressful it can be when you are put on the spot,” Amanda Doane, PCA adviser, said.

Before visiting the Supreme Court, students prepared for weeks in advance by researching the cases they would be witnessing.

“We witnessed interesting cases, including appealing life in prison sentences,” Doane said. One of those life-in-prison sentences revolved around a murder of a pizza delivery guy 18 years ago.

Students heard attorneys talk about these cases and also the seven judges interrupt the attorneys occasionally. “It was a learning experience. I learned you have to be as professional as possible as an attorney,” Curfman said.