Voter fraud potential problem, despite denial

Sharidan Kraljic, Co-Editor

Some people in this country, like Hillary Clinton, think that Republicans are afraid of democracy because of their implementing voting regulations.

The biggest offender is the requirement of identification when voting.

The Constitution grants American citizens the right to vote in American elections. It does not grant everyone in America the right to vote because not everyone is a citizen.

One may ask, “What about the elderly or people who don’t have a driver’s license?” In Kansas, citizens over the age of 65 are permitted to use expired identification documents, so not having a driver’s license is not an issue.

A driver’s license is not the only acceptable identification. One may also use a state ID, a concealed carry of handgun license, a passport, a military ID, a postsecondary student ID or even an ID issued by a Native American tribe.

In addition, a person may get a non-driver ID card at the Division of Motor Vehicles through the Kansas Department of Revenue.

For people who think that requiring identification to vote is unconstitutional, the Constitution also gives citizens the right to have firearms, but we have to show identification to exercise that right.

Governments that implement voting requirements do not fear democracy, but are defending the rights of its citizens to vote without the fear of being made null-and-void by an alien or a multi-voter.

Over 1.8 million deceased Americans are still registered to vote, 24 million active voter registrations are no longer valid and 2.75 million people have voter registrations in more than one state according to National Public Radio.

Yet some people  believe that voter fraud is exaggerated.

Honestly, this issue is just a distraction. The bigger issue is that more and more people are not voting in elections. According to FairVote, the highest percentage of people who vote, based on eligible population, was in 1976 at 65 percent. This is despicable.

From the beginning of our great country to the present, millions of Americans have made the ultimate sacrifice to preserve one of the most sacred of our rights–– the right to vote.

This is the very fabric that our country was founded on. Wars have been fought all over the world for this right that is taken for granted by about half of eligible citizens.

Even today, America criticizes countries that deny their citizens basic human rights. But which is worse: being denied rights or ignoring them?

I digress.

Being required to show identification to vote is common sense. An illegal alien, or a multi-voter, should not be able to cancel a law-abiding American’s vote.

Before people get up in arms about voting requirements, maybe they should be up in arms about the depressing number of people who actually vote.