It’s Called Growing Up

Mildred+Garza

Mildred Garza

Mildred Garza, Reporter

Growing up happens quicker than anyone thinks, when adults tell us “time flies” we usually take it for granted but the next day we’re getting rid of our favorite hoodie because it doesn’t fit anymore. The next week we don’t like going outside anymore and the next month we’re driving for the first time on our own. It’s sad to think no one relieves life again and as we grow up the pressure to become something important or at least something that will help our future, grows very quickly. Watching others start to figure things out and finding something that they want to do for the rest of their lives is scary when you don’t. 

“I’m excited for what’s next but it’s scary because I’m leaving my house,” Senior Lea Ford said.

A lot of students think that the educational system fails to build productive and successful citizens because instead of helping us find our interests and encouraging creativity this system slowly forms anxiety and insecurity in students. 

“The mental challenges of grades, all the tests and the new environment you have to get used to was my biggest challenge in high school,” Senior Brendan Wilkalis said.  

At the ripe age of 12 years old students are expected to join clubs, classes, programs and other academic activities to help guide them to the correct path of what they want to become, but what if I have no idea what I want to become? What if I don’t want to be what society needs more of?

Others are focused on getting a job as soon as they start high school in fear of not having the financial support from their families.

“I started paying for my own car and had two jobs at the same time, ” Ford said. 

Sometimes the older people around us don’t understand the things that we go through as young adults. They don’t understand the stress that comes with balancing classes and a social life or the feeling of being unsure about the future. 

“I was afraid because you just never know what can happen in the future,” Senior Parker O’Dell said. 

The simple thought of building a life after high school can cause anxiety and discomfort. 

“I get nervous because there’s a lot that goes into living independently, away from any sort of guardian,” Wilkalis said.

For some, thinking about their younger selves helps them shift back into focus after a wave of discouragement, remembering that in a way younger you is still in you, can prevent consistent hate to yourself. 

“I like to think that he’s happy that I’m still here,” O’Dell said.

Although growing up is painful at times, we learn from our mistakes and the experiences we go through. Every painful moment in our life shapes the person we become. 

“I went through a lot of obstacles during COVID. I broke my femur playing soccer and went through a really terrible relationship but I’m proud of myself because all of these obstacles helped me learn a lot of new lessons,” Ford said. 

Life will never be easy in fact there will always be obstacles but by learning to incorporate the lessons we learn as young adults and remembering that pain is temporary, life becomes a little bit easier to manage.

“Value yourself and embrace the moment because the people you meet in high school won’t stick with you forever,” O’Dell said.