News briefs

KSPA Regionals

The Eyrie staff brought home many accomplishments from the Regional KSPA contest on Feb. 27. Those students who took first, second, third or got an honorable mention qualified for the state competition. First place receivers include Lexi Nelson, sophomore in Headline Writing and Design and Connor Letts, senior, in Photo Illustration. Letts also took second place in Student Life Photography as well as Mitchell Liermann, junior, in Editorial Writing.

Many staffers also got honorable mentions at the competition: Sierra Muellner, junior, in Student Life Photography; Nelson in Editorial Cartoon; Laiken Yerby, senior, in Infographics, and Kennedee Estes, junior, in News Writing.

Poetry Outloud

Leanne Chun, senior, won first place at the Poetry Out Loud Kansas Competition, in Salina, Kan., at the Salina Community Theatre on March 1.

Chun will be participating in the national championship against 52 state and territory champions in Washington, D.C. on April 28-29 with a paid trip for her and her chaperone.

She also won a prize of $200.

This is the second year Chun has won the state championship.

Forensics

Katy Dorrell, junior, placed first at the East Kansas National Forensics League national qualifier tournament for Student Congress on March 27-28, earning her a place at the national tournament in Dallas, Texas, this summer.

The forensics team traveled to Shawnee Mission Northwest on April 3-4. The only first place win was in Lincoln-Douglas debate.

Another part of the team went to Louisburg High School on March 27-28. Along with an overall first place win in sweepstakes, students brought home medals in informative speaking,  dramatic interpretation and prose.

The members of the forensics team that competed on March 13-14 at Lawrence Free State brought home first place medals in domestic extemporaneous speaking, informative speaking and prose.