‘House at Pooh Corner’ teaches lesson in friendship

Students worked on finalizing “House at Pooh Corner” during dress rehersal.

Khadija Ceesay, Reporter

The production of “The House at Pooh Corner” taught the audience a very valuable lesson in friendship: that people should always look out for one another, no matter what.

The play was performed on May 3-5 in the auditorium.

The cast did the entire show with puppets; a new and unique idea they mastered quickly.

Claire Lewis, junior and stage manager said that the show was “really fun because this is the first show I was in [from the beginning], so at first it was kind of overwhelming, but as soon as I got used to it, I fell in love with it.”

She said the cast she got to work with was her favorite part because she got to know so many incredible people.

Elise Bowels, the freshman that played Piglet, said, “It was a very amazing learning experience. While working on the show, we learned how to work with puppets and how to correctly move them.”

She also said the coolest part about working with the puppets was learning how to put her acting through the puppets while making them the main focus.

Jaimeson Satterfield, senior, commented that he auditioned for “Pooh Corner” because he auditioned for every show since freshman year and that it sounded like a fun show to be a part of.

Satterfield said, “It was a whole new method of acting that was a lot of fun to learn.”

The show was also interactive with the audience. The kids in the audience were interacting with the puppets to go along with the story each night.

Chase Simmons, senior, said the show was “hilariously fun” and that the fact that someone he knew was in the audience made the performance easier.

Jacob Reiss, senior, said, “My experiences were that while blocking was very slow and the aesthetic aspects were kind of stressful, I had fun with it. I tried out because I wanted to try something new, and Hastings sold the concept for the Bunraku puppets very well.”