African Americans feel singled out in school

Aysiah Loving, Reporter

On a daily basis some African-American students feel singled out due to the color of their skin.

Eryn Patrick, senior, sometimes feels singled out at school. “I am constantly reminded of my race at school. Even when people don’t say anything eyes are on me, especially in history class,” Patrick said.

Over time, Patrick has found it difficult to maintain some friendships because of her race.

“Sometimes it’s hard to make friends because my race always comes up in conversation, which is irritating because their race never comes up. They also ask me weird questions like about my hair and there’s more to me than that,” Patrick said.

Patrick has also found it difficult to establish friendships with African-American students as well.

“I go to church in Kansas City, and I like it because there’s a lot of other black people, but I still feel singled out sometimes just because I live in Olathe. They say that I ‘talk white,’ and it’s like I’m getting hate from my own people,” Patrick said.

Another topic that some of the majority may not understand is the infamous “n” word that is thrown around on social media or even the hallways, but based on its history it’s highly offensive.

“I hear the ‘n’ word all the time, and it’s not appropriate. Some people try to justify their use of it by it being in songs and whatever, but it’s insensitive,” Patrick said.

Patrick also mentioned that some teachers unintentionally make students uncomfortable because of their race. She has noticed that some teachers change their “tone” and try to “talk in a certain way” so they can relate to their black students.

Savannah Macharia, senior, sometimes overhears insensitive comments made about black people which is discouraging.

“In my […] class I hear a lot of derogatory terms said because some students feel superior,” Macharia said.

Macharia believes it is essential to consider everyone’s culture and not make people feel like “less of a person.” Those in the majority tend to have more advantages, and it’s important for them to keep an “open mind.’”

In history classes, topics much discussed in regards to the African-American culture are slavery and the civil rights movement.

“I wish we talked about more than just slavery and the civil rights movement. We have done more and have accomplished more. It would also be great if we had an African-American history course. We should acknowledge culture, not degrade it,” Patrick said.

The striving for a just society is not over. That does not only include African-American students.

“To other minority groups, I would say to them to ‘never stop working for equality for all and not let anyone make you feel like less of a person,’” Macharia said.