The student news site of Olathe South High School

The Eyrie

The Eyrie

The Eyrie

Polls

Which social media is your favorite right now?

• Instagram (29%, 6 Votes)
  • Facebook (24%, 5 Votes)
  • TikTok (19%, 4 Votes)
  • Twitter (19%, 4 Votes)
  • Snapchat (10%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 21

Loading ... Loading ...

Laughter is the best type of medicine

Laughter can bring so much joy into your life; Here are some benefits to laughing and ways to bring it into your life.

Sharing laughter with the ones you care about is a blast and is actually beneficial to your health. HealthGuide.org writers Lawrence Robinson; Melinda Smith, M.A. (Master of Arts); and Jeanne Segal, Ph.D. explain how this is true.

“It draws people together in ways that trigger healthy physical and emotional changes in the body,”  Robinson, Smith and Segal said.

They explain how nothing can bring your body and mind to ease like laughter can. They also explain that it can encourage the release of anger and maybe even encourage forgiveness sooner.

“Humor lightens your burdens, inspires hope, connects you to others and keeps you grounded, focused and alert,” Robinson, Smith and Segal said.

Being able to laugh so easily in life is a tremendous help in surmounting problems, enhancing your relationships, and supporting both physical and emotional health.

“Best of all, this priceless medicine is fun, free, and easy to use,” Robinson, Smith and Segal said.

As we get older, life tends to get more stressful with school, jobs and growing into adulthood, and adding some laughter to your life could help to ease some of those struggles.

“By seeking out more opportunities for humor and laughter, you can improve your emotional health, strengthen your relationships, find greater happiness—and even add years to your life,” Robinson, Smith and Segal said.

The link between laughter and mental health

There are many different ways that you can improve your mental health, and laughter just so happens to be one of them. Laughter makes you feel good and that good feeling can last longer than the initial laughing period.

“Humor helps you keep a positive, optimistic outlook through difficult situations, disappointments, and loss,” Robinson, Smith and Segal said.

More than just that good feeling you get from laughing, it can also improve your courage and strength to find more things to enjoy in the world. 

“Even in the most difficult of times, a laugh–or even simply a smile–can go a long way toward making you feel better,” Robinson, Smith and Segal said.

Laughter can also help you stop your distressing emotions and help you to relax in the moment.

“You can't feel anxious, angry, or sad when you're laughing,” Robinson, Smith and Segal said. “It reduces stress and increases energy, enabling you to stay focused and accomplish more.”

Laughter tends to draw people together which can greatly improve your mental health.

“And laughter really is contagious—just hearing laughter primes your brain and readies you to smile and join in the fun,” Robinson, Smith and Segal said.

Laughter can also simply shift your perspective making it more light-hearted and less threatening.

“A humorous perspective creates psychological distance, which can help you avoid feeling overwhelmed and diffuse conflict,” Robinson, Smith and Segal said.

Physical benefits of laughter
  • Boosts immunity
  • Lowers stress hormones
  • Decreases pain
  • Relaxes your muscles
  • Prevents heart disease
Mental health benefits
  • Adds joy to life
  • Eases anxiety and tension
  • Relieves stress
  • Improves mood
  • Strengthens resilience
Social benefits
  • Strengthens relationships
  • Attraction of others
  • Teamwork enhancement 
  • Aids in conflict diffuse 
  • Promotes group bonding
How to bring more laughter into your life

Laughing is a natural part of living and you can find so many ways to add some laughter. If it doesn't come easy to you, or even if it does, begin by setting aside some time to fill your life with something funny.

“Eventually, you'll want to incorporate humor and laughter into the fabric of your life, finding it naturally in everything,” Robinson, Smith and Segal said.

Here are some ways that you can do just that:

Smile

Smiling is basically the start of laughter, and just like laughter, smiles can be contagious. Find things in your life that will make you smile and practice that cheesy grin.

“Instead of looking down at your phone, look up and smile at people you pass in the street, the person serving you a morning coffee, or the co-workers you share an elevator with,” Robinson, Smith and Segal said.

Count your blessings.

Make a list and count all of the positive and amazing things that your life has to offer.

“The simple act of considering the positive aspects of your life will distance you from negative thoughts that block humor and laughter,” Robinson, Smith and Segal said.

Surround yourself with people that are fun and playful 

Find people who have humorous personalities and find joy and humor in basic everyday life.

“Their playful point of view and laughter are contagious,” Robinson, Smith and Segal said. “Even if you don't consider yourself a lighthearted, humorous person, you can still seek out people who like to laugh and make others laugh.”

Some other ways to bring laughter in your life
  • Watch a funny TV show or YouTube video 
  • Listen to a funny song or podcast 
  • Read a funny book 
  • Make time for fun activities
  • Share, or read some funny jokes