JCCC offers public safety courses

JCCC offers public safety courses

Sion Worley, Reporter

Until 2009, training for people wanting to go into the Public Safety workforce had been difficult to obtain without going out-of-state. However, the Public Safety Training Center at Johnson County Community College (JCCC) changed that.

The Public Safety Training Center (PSTC) offers courses for those wanting to enter into or improve in areas like law enforcement, firefighting and emergency medical services. JCCC started offering these courses under one roof in August 2008 in order to provide high-quality courses locally rather than requiring participants to travel out-of-state for training courses.

Many of the participants in courses at the PSTC already hold a college degree and are already working in their chosen field. However, taking the courses offered can provide extra benefits and training.

“Most who join my courses are already officers,” Ken Sissom, Johnson County Regional Police Academy director, said. “However, the courses can help gain promotional opportunities and provide an insight to the future of their job.”

The PSTC also offers specialized courses, focused on more specific topics. Currently, Sissom is providing a course for police officers specifically oriented towards cultural familiarity – understanding different cultures and religions in order to more effectively address a situation and recognizing how they and their actions are seen by others that may be involved.

Certifications for participating in the courses include a non-cumulative attendance certificate and certification of at least 40 hours of training, as required by the courses and course providers.

Although the law enforcement courses are not available to the general public, the Fire Sciences and Emergency Medical Services courses are available to all qualifying students, regardless of employment status.