Not all heroes wear capes

Not all heroes wear capes

Jillian Walker and Evan Kauffman, Reporters

Tarren Bingham assists SOAR

by Jillian Walker

Putting smiles on children’s faces is what Tarren Bingham, senior, likes the most about volunteering.

Bingham volunteers at the Special Opportunities, Abilities, and Relationships (SOAR) ministry at Grace Church on 159th Street and Antioch Road. He first started helping out at his church when his mom invited him to come along three years ago.

Bingham goes to volunteer every weekend for a few hours of the day and every other month for a SOAR R&R to either play games or share lessons with the children.

“This last summer we had a SOAR special needs camp, and I was a leader for the groups,” Bingham said, “Just getting to know all of the kids was really amazing.”

The SOAR summer camp offers activities for individuals from 3 years old and up.

Bingham believes that since he has started volunteering, he has developed more as a person.

“[Volunteering] has helped me become a better person. It’s helped me become more of a leader, and to think of others more than myself,” Bingham said.

In the future, Bingham would like to be more involved with helping children, whether it’s as a para or a teacher.

Ian Jones gives to community

by Evan Kauffman

Throughout the year, Ian Jones, freshman, volunteers to help homeless people at an organization called Crosslines.

Crosslines holds several different volunteer events to help raise money or collect food for the homeless.

Jones volunteers during the spring collecting and harvesting food from Crossline’s garden to give to the homeless.

“It makes me feel good knowing I’m contributing,” Jones said.

Crosslines holds events like these year round, looking to aid the homeless and those who need financial support.

Jones found the organization through Knox Presbyterian Church in Overland Park.

He has been volunteering at Crosslines for a little over three years.

Additionally, during the winter, Jones helps further by handing out clothes to the homeless in the local area.

“Volunteering at Crosslines has made me not want to leave people on the side of the street,” Jones said.

Jones spends several weeks throughout the year giving back to his community, and his work has reflected back on him.

“I love it when people thank me,” Jones said, “It feels nice being acknowledged.”

Aleks Kostic helps out elderly

by Evan Kauffman

People find ways to volunteer all around their community¬—from babysitting children at a local daycare to helping elderly adults in assisted living.

Aleks Kostic, senior, volunteers at the Good Samaritan Nursing Home as well as at Inclusion Connections, a place where children can get academic help if necessary.

Kostic began volunteering at the nursing home and at Inclusion Connections a little more than three years ago.

Currently, Kostic volunteers four to five days a week, some at the nursing home and some at Inclusion Connections.

“I enjoy meeting new people and being in a positive environment,” Kostic said.

Inclusion Connections has since hired Kostic to be a class supervisor.

Kostic got the job there after volunteering during several weeks throughout the summer.

At the Good Samaritan Nursing Home, Kostic keeps the people in the home entertained, holding conversations, playing games and sharing stories.

“My favorite part of working at the nursing home is listening to all of the stories people have to tell,” Kostic said.

Kostic plans to go to college to become a doctor to further help her community and those around it.

Cayla Jones helps IT theater

by Jillian Walker

Theater is more than just a class to Cayla Jones, junior.

Jones, who is good friends with Jodie Buster, the theater director at Indian Trail Middle School, volunteers for the IT theater department almost every day after school.

Buster asked her one day last year to help out after school, and now she goes to IT about four times a week to assist the theater students.

Jones often helps students memorize their lines, paints sets, and assists students with learning their choreography.

“There was this little girl who was a foster child and she came up to me one day and she told me she was getting adopted,” Jones said, “She thanked me for helping her with her lines because her foster parents had come to see her perform that night.”

Jones said that was an experience she would always remember.

In the future, Jones would like to do something that involves helping children.

“It’s made me a better person because when the students remember something that I helped them with it makes me feel really good,” Jones said.

Jones also spends her time participating in South’s theater program.

Alex Meyerhoff offers service

by Evan Kauffman

After spending over six years in Boy Scouts, Alex Meyerhoff, junior, contributes to several service projects and canned food drives.

Meyerhoff finds plenty of opportunities to give back through Boy Scouts.

Every Monday night Meyerhoff spends time helping those in need all while meeting some potentially influential people.

“Getting to meet the different people who work for the companies is my favorite part of volunteering,” Meyerhoff said, “They are always so enthusiastic and nice to get along with.”

Meyerhoff doesn’t do it all for the potential career boost, however.

The most important thing to him is helping people in need.

Volunteering affects the entire community and the communities surrounding it.

“Volunteering has opened me up to a lot of career opportunities,” Meyerhoff said.

Soon, Meyerhoff hopes to become  an Eagle Scout and get even further involved in his community.

In order to become an Eagle Scout Meyerhoff must complete an approved service project and receive merit badges.

“I plan to help the cat shelter in Lenexa for my project,” Meyerhoff said.

Mackenzie Smith fosters dogs

by Jillian Walker

Busy is one word that describes Mackenzie Smith, junior.

Whether she’s playing with the dogs that her family is fostering or volunteering at her church, Smith spends most of her time helping others.

Smith first started volunteering in the nursery at Living Hope Church on West 175th Street and Ridgeview Road when her mom, who was a Sunday school teacher, asked her to help out about six years ago.

Since she began volunteering, Smith has realized that she would like to become a teacher and help children.

Smith’s family also fosters dogs for the Great Plains SPCA.

“We just get to spend time with them. We’ve had two sets of puppies, three each,” she said.

Her favorite thing about fostering dogs is spending time with them and seeing them get adopted quickly.

“It’s really sweet when we’ve rehabilitated dogs, and they haven’t even been back for a day, and someone wants them,” Smith said.

To add to her already busy schedule, Smith is also a part of the Falcon Service board.

“I spend most of my time doing volunteer work for falcon service club and I spend a lot of time at the shelter,” she said.