The student news site of Olathe South High School

The Eyrie

The Eyrie

The Eyrie

Polls

Which social media is your favorite right now?

• Instagram (29%, 6 Votes)
  • Facebook (24%, 5 Votes)
  • TikTok (19%, 4 Votes)
  • Twitter (19%, 4 Votes)
  • Snapchat (10%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 21

Loading ... Loading ...

Why do concert tickets cost so much?

Over the past few years live event tickets have been raising in price.
Sylvia Grimsley
A person feeling stressed due to money.

Concert tickets have become increasingly expensive over these past few years ticket prices have risen from $90 in 2018 to $120 in 2023. Pollstar, Apollo Chief Economist.

“I have no sympathy for people whining about high ticket prices, they created the situation themselves,” said Fred Rosen, the former chief executive of Ticketmaster.

In the past few years, COVID has made the prices of many things rise, including concert tickets.

Statistics show that concert tickets have risen by nearly 20 percent since 2019, an astonishing leap that is far outpacing even the record-high inflation numbers,” Ticket News reporter Dave Clark said. 

Tickets for many live events have risen as well.

In the first half of 2022, increased demand has seen crowds grow by five percent, but the events take in 25 percent more revenue. That translates to an industry-wide take of $1.7 billion in the first two quarters, with companies like Live Nation reporting record profits along the way.” Clark said.

Not only has North American ticket prices risen, but Canada’s inflation with concert tickets have as well.

In December, it rose to 3.4 percent. By comparison, in 2019, Canada’s annual inflation rate was 1.9 percent, and the average price of concert tickets has risen by 17.8 percent since then,” Natalie Herman reporting for CBC said.

Due to inflation ticket prices in Canada have changed a lot.

In 2019, the Canadian Competition Bureau penalized Ticketmaster, a subsidiary of Live Nation, the largest concert promoter in the world, after finding that the additional fees (including the service, order processing, and delivery fees often added more than 20 percent,” Herman said.