What’s the score?

ACT follow up assembly; what’s the importance?

Peyton Mosher

Jennifer Addington explains to students how they can understand their ACT scores and to do better on the test. These students learned the importance of the ACT and how getting a good score can improve your college options.

Emma Collins, Reporter

The ACT follow up assembly that was on Tuesday Jan. 26 for juniors and sophomores allowed the students to take a look into their scores and better understand what the ACT actually means.

Jennifer Addington, Olathe Northwest teacher, is educated in the ACT particularly along with being a regular teacher at Olathe Northwest.

She lectured during the assembly focusing on some of the key points to taking the ACT.

The assembly allowed the students to learn about what their individual scores and all together averages meant for them, along with what the students would get out of it while trying to get into college.

“It gives an opportunity [for students] to better understand what efforts they can and will take to better themselves for the ACT,” Keri Snyder, assistant principal, said.

Addington noted that students need to get through Algebra II in order to know everything on the math, and to practice with the time give to the students during the test for the reading and English part of the ACT.

Another main topic talked about was the benchmark scores  that most Kansas colleges want students to achieve, with a certain GPA, in order to be accepted.

The benchmark scores average would be: English 18, math and reading 22, and science 23.

Many Kansas colleges grant certain scholarships, ranging from $1,000 to $9,000, to incoming students depending on their GPA and composite ACT scores.

Those colleges include: Kansas State University, Fort Hays State University, Emporia State, Pittsburg State, and Wichita State. University of Kansas requires a higher average ACT score to be accepted.

“The classroom is where it starts and the students need to take advantage of what the teachers are doing for them,” Snyder said.

Addington offers students a prep class in order to better their chances at achieving the desired ACT score. It is a three-session class from 6 to 8:30 p.m. on March 23 and 30, and April 6. The whole session costs $100 to sign up and the deadline is March 11.