Girls soccer team hoping for place at state

Kendall+Staley%2C+sophomore%2C+gets+ready+to+kick+the+ball+in.+Their+record+as+of+May+7%2C+is+eight+wins%2C+four+losses%2C+and+two+ties.+The+team+is+ranked+second+in+the+league.+The+state+championship+game+is+on+May+25-26+at+the+College+Boulevard+Activities+Complex+%28CBAC%29.++++

Anna Scarlett

Kendall Staley, sophomore, gets ready to kick the ball in. Their record as of May 7, is eight wins, four losses, and two ties. The team is ranked second in the league. The state championship game is on May 25-26 at the College Boulevard Activities Complex (CBAC).

Sarah Buehler, Reporter

As of May 7, the girls soccer team record had eight wins, four losses, and two ties. 

Their goals for the rest of the season are to win their division in varsity league and make it to the final four in the state tournament.

The biggest obstacles for the team right now are the change in coaching style and their schedule, according to Heath Spratlin, head coach.

Spratlin, said, “I’m most excited about coaching the senior girls for the rest of the season this year since I coached them their freshmen year of soccer as well.”

There are seven seniors who are on varsity this year: Rachel Engeman, Alexa Evans, Julia Gudenkauf, Marli Ruis, Megan Siebenburgen, and Corinne Staley. 

As of right now the team is ranked second in the league. 

Korie Hutton, senior and manager, said, “We need to work more on coming out strong in the first 10 minutes of the game and our first touch in the game.”

Mattie Miano, senior, has been a standout athlete on the team for scoring numerous goals throughout the season while playing as a center back for the team.

The state championship games are on May 25-26 at the College Boulevard Activities Complex (CBAC).