Students discuss upcoming Prom plans

Delaney Garrelts, Reporter

Prom has been an important event for all juniors and seniors in high school since the beginning of the dance’s existence.

Students fret over what outfit they will wear, where to take pictures, where to eat dinner, and where they’ll go to party afterward.

When looking for a place to eat, it can be difficult due to a need for a lot of space if there’s a large group, the desire for something fancy, and the want for it to not break the bank.

“Sake was a good choice,” Alec Sappenfield, senior, said, “I go there all the time. The atmosphere can be romantic if you want it to be, and the food is really good.  I would go there for another dance.”

It’s good to pick a place where reservations are available, because seating on the night of dances can be really difficult.

Savanna Muellner, senior, knows what it’s like not to be seated. “We went to a Japanese steakhouse. It sucked. We didn’t get seated until 30 minutes after we got there.”

Another thing that students have to worry about planning is where to take pictures. Some places end up way too crowded, and there doesn’t at first seem to be a lot of options.

Isabelle Batista, junior, plans to take pictures downtown. “I like the aesthetic. I like nature pictures, but I love the Urban look too. We’re also going to a park near my house.”

Heritage and Blackbob Park are always open for pictures, and for a small fee, pictures are available at the Arboretum. Another option is to go downtown and take them by graffiti or buildings.

Dresses can sometimes be difficult to find, but some options at the Oak Park mall make it easier and more affordable, like Macy’s and Camille la Vie.

The cost of the dance can add up and actually put some people off from wanting to go at all, like Zach Kesler, junior.

“I’m not going this year,” Kesler said, “I make $8.50 an hour. I’ll go my senior year, because it’s my last opportunity.”

Seniors get into the dance for free, but they still have to buy the outfit, the food, and sometimes spend money on corsages or boutonnieres if they have dates.

That’s another struggle that seniors face when planning their prom night. Do they go with a date, or do they go with a group of friends?

“I’d just say go with friends,” Muellner sad, “I’d definitely prefer that over a date. Last year was the first year I was allowed to go, and because I went with my friends I had fun!”

Some people don’t prefer a group over a date, however.

“If I was going this year, I’d definitely prefer a date,” Sappenfield said, “That way there is someone there I can dance with.”

No matter what the plans are for the night, the most important is to stay safe. Having someone responsible drive everyone for the night is the smartest choice.

If the group wants to continue the night after the dance is over, they can always attend After Promfor food, drinks, and fun.