Athletic trainer enjoys working with athletes and seeing them grow

New+physical+trainer%2C+Jordin+Brouhard%2C+applies+a+bandage+to+a+students+ankle+after+having+pre-wrapped+it+in+an+attempt+to+support+her+as+she+runs.+

Bailey Stephan

New physical trainer, Jordin Brouhard, applies a bandage to a student’s ankle after having pre-wrapped it in an attempt to support her as she runs.

Aysiah Loving, Reporter

A new falcon has been added to the Olathe South family.

Jordin Brouhard, athletic trainer, transferred from Saint Thomas Aquinas High School after Dennis Dolan, former athletic trainer, moved to Olathe West High School.

Before moving to Olathe South, Brouhard kicked off her college journey in 2010.

“I started my college career off at Pratt Community College. After my two years there I moved on to complete my degree in Athletic Training at Wichita State University where I graduated in May of 2015,” Brouhard said.

Before spending time at Saint Thomas, Brouhard did one year in a Graduate Assistant position at Kansas Wesleyan University. There she was assigned to work at Salina South High School.

Brouhard went into athletic training with full intentions of helping young sportspersons involved in sports and their physical needs concerning injuries.

“What inspired me to go into athletic training is the ability to keep working around athletics in a position where I could help athletes recover from injuries that sustained while playing,” Brouhard said.

While being an athletic trainer, Brouhard expressed that she likes getting close to students and forming bonds with them as she helps them be in the best shape that they can be.

“What I like most about this job is that I get to not only watch athletes grow as athletes, but as individuals,” Brouhard said.

She enjoys seeing students learn how to care for their injuries and realizing that a student can grow both physical and mentally when treating an injury, “no matter how severe.”

Only being on the job for just a short couple of months, Brouhard has already seen many student athletes for sports related injuries.

“Roughly, I have probably seen 20-25 student athletes. Currently I am dealing with close to 10-15 injuries across all of the fall sports,” Brouhard said.

Although she is seeing many students at the moment, Brouhard hasn’t encountered any severe injuries. The worst case she has had this month is a fractured collar bone. But before coming to Olathe South, Brouhard has dealt with far worse injuries. Two of which she considers the worst both occurred at Salina South High School.

“A cross country runner once slipped in a locker room and hit the back of his head on a cement floor, causing 2-inch laceration down the back side of his head that resulted in EMS being called and 7-9 staples needing to be put in,” Brouhard said. “Another time, a boys soccer player fractured and dislocated his wrist two games before they went on to win the 5A State Championship.”

As Brouhard steps into the new role as athletic trainer, she hopes that her abilities will “better to help benefit the student athletes here at Olathe South.”