Golfers finish season at state

Daniel Moreira

Claire Beeler, senior, lines up her golf ball for another swing at a golf match during the season.

Drew Houfek, Reporter

Girls golf finished the season as the fourth place finishers out of 12 teams in the Sunflower League and the sixth place team in regionals.

While the team did not qualify for state as a whole, Sydney Lake, junior, and Claire Beeler, senior, and, did qualify as individuals and placed 38th and 63rd in that competition at the Country Club of Leawood on Oct. 17, respectively.

“I was really happy that [Beeler] was able to advance to state for all four years of her high school career,” Mark Smith, head coach, said. “I was also very proud of [Lake], who worked very hard over the last couple of years and improved greatly.”

The team placed in the top six in four meets, with their highest being a second place finish in the Olathe Cup on Sept. 6. They also got fifth place at regionals, which was not quite enough for the entire team to go to state.

While the two state competitors for the team did not achieve their goal of medaling by placing in the top 20, Beeler and Lake both received second team all-conference honors, and Smith noted that he was “for the most part satisfied” with how the season went.

The players themselves seemed to be happy with the season’s results, too.

“I enjoyed creating friendships with girls from different schools, eating at Papa Keno’s together after a tournament, and competing at regionals on a beautiful day,” Lindsay Birge, junior, said. “It was all just really fun.”