Swimmers end on high note

Rachel Pierson, Reporter

For Falcon swimmers and divers, the 2016 season has been successful according to Brandon Simpson, coach. Girls with no swim experience have become accomplished in three out of four strokes, and veteran swimmers have participated in more events than they have in past years.

Many of the girls swam personal records April 28 at their senior night. And, so far, one diver and four swimmers have qualified for state in both personal and relay events.

Cinnamon Derrick, junior, qualified for state in diving. A medley relay and 200 free relay team consisting of Annika Highstrom and Anne Augustyn, juniors; Addy Bray, freshman; and Sarah Buehler, sophomore, are also qualified for state.

Highlights of the season include Bray’s individually having a consideration time for state in 200 free, 200 individual medley, 100 fly, and 100 back.

Augustyn also has a consideration time for state in 50 free and 100 free, with her dropping two seconds in 50 free and four seconds in 100 free compared to her own state consideration times from last year.

Another highlight of the season has been Highstrom committing to swim in college and being the first swimmer from the school in many years to swim in college.

Simpson has high hopes for the rest of the season. “I hope girls swimming at JV league swim their fastest of the year. Varsity league is tough, but I hope to have some girls qualify for Saturday’s finals, which hasn’t happened in many years for South,” Simpson said.