New coach, new opportunities for team

Craig Lewis, the new head football coach.

Max Stoneking, Sports Editor

Taking charge of a high school football program is no easy task.

With the resignation of Jeff Gourley, former head football coach, the program went searching for a new candidate to take the position. After extensive interviewing, a panel of 5 to 6 people selected Craig Lewis as the new head football coach.

“[Coach Lewis] is very passionate about not only football, but education. He has some very good ideas for how to make a program successful,” Clint Albers, Athletic Director, said.

Lewis has 28 years of football experience. His coaching resume features a myriad of different high schools, in which he has turned around football programs and achieved success. He has stayed almost exclusively in Missouri during his coaching career. He was most recently the assistant coach at Staley high school in North Kansas City.

“My son is graduating this year, so I can be a head coach now. The position at Olathe South opened up and it is a fantastic community and a fantastic school,” Lewis said.

Lewis’ son attends Staley.

“Obviously we expect coach Lewis and any of our head coaches to operate programs so that our students have a good experience as well as a successful one,” Albers said.

Lewis stresses the importance of embracing good character and good work ethic. Working hard and establishing great practice standards are also of utmost importance to Lewis.

“I want people I can trust, people that go after things. Ones that aren’t satisfied with going through the motions. I want to get the best out of other people,” Lewis said.

The athletes are also excited for the fresh perspective coming to the program.

He’s an energetic guy that seems to know a lot about football. He’s ready to get things going,” Andrew Edrington, junior, said.

The football team will open the season on the road against a dominant opponent in Shawnee Mission East on Sept. 2.