Sports shorts—

Updates as of April 8, 2015

Brooke Prondzinski, senior, makes it past the goalie for the team’s third goal.

Boys tennis

The boys tennis team competed at the 4-City Quad on April 1 at the Kossover Tennis Center in Topeka.

As a whole, the team went 1-1-1 on the night.

Their one win came against Highland Park High School 4-0. They tied with Free State High School 2-2 and lost to Topeka High School 0-4.

The varsity squad will next be in action at home on April 9 against Shawnee Mission North

Boys golf

On Wednesday, April 1, the boys golf team went to Deer Creek Country Club for the first tournament of the year. It was a very windy day with gusts around 40 mph.

Matt Thompson, junior, led the team shooting an 88. Ryan Thompson, senior, was right behind with a 90.

The winning score of the tournament was a 78. This is high for the varsity level.

Girls swimming

The girls swim and dive team competed against Olathe North on March 25. Cinnamon Derrick, sophomore, came in third in the 1 meter diving event.

Another third place swimmer, Steffi Ladzinski, sophomore, competed in the 100 fly. Megan Barb, senior, placed fourth in the 100 free while in the 200 individual medley (IM), Annika Highstrom, sophomore, placed fifth.

Softball

This year’s softball team has started the season very well. So far, they are undefeated sitting at 4-0.

March 26 the team defeated Leavenworth, 15-0 win.

Next was two more wins over SMNW and SMW, winning 5-0 and 16-0.

The next varsity game to be played will be against Leavenworth and Washburn Rural on April 14.

Baseball

The baseball team started the season playing against teams from Oklahoma. In the first game on March 20, the boys played Norman North High School, and lost, 4-2.

The next day, March 21, varsity boys played Deer Creek High School in an offensive battle, but Deer Creek came away with the win 5-6. The next week on Friday March 27, the team played in the Rob Jones Tournament.

The team won against Olathe North with a score of 3-2. Finally, they played East, but East won 3-7. Overall the team placed second in the tournament.

Girls soccer

The girls soccer teams played March 24-26. The Gold team, which consists of freshmen, lost to Blue Valley North 1-11 on March 24. The next day, varsity won against St. James Academy, 4-1. The junior varsity team also beat Saint James Academy, 3-2, on March 25. The Blue team, which consists of sophomores, played Saint James Academy March 25 and won 5-0.

Track & field

In the meet at Lawrence Free State, held on March 27, the boys 4x400m relay team finished first.

The girls 4x100m relay team finished first as well. Tanner Green, senior, won the boys 400m. Jacque Darby, junior, won the girls 100m. Jolee Webb, senior, won the girls shot put.

At the Blue Valley Spring Classic on April 2, the boys team finished fifth out of 15 teams. The girls finished 10th out of 15.

Green took home gold in the 200m, 400m, and won gold with the 4x400m team. On the girls’ side, Darby took home Bronze in the 100m, 200m, and won bronze with the 4x100m team.

Remy Braun, freshman, finished second in the girls’ high Jump competition.

The teams’ next meet is the Olathe Invitational on Friday, April 10, at Olathe East against other local teams.