Royals Season Preview 2022

Will the Royals make a run for the playoffs or will they keep the postseason drought going?

Kauffman Stadium, Home of the Kansas City Royals

Quinton Coats, Reporter

The Kansas City Royals are coming off one of their best seasons since 2016. Finishing 74-88 and 4th in the AL Central, the Royals put up their best record in the past few seasons. Although they missed out on the postseason, the team looked promising at the beginning and end of the year putting up big runs. At one point the Royals were the best team in the MLB posting a record of 16-9 and 1st in the AL Central. With the hope given to fans by incoming young talents such as Bobby Witt Jr. and Nick Melendez, there is a lot to look forward to this season.

Young Talent

The Royals minor league system has produced some of the best players in the MLB in the past. With names like Eric Hosmer, Salvador Perez, and Mike Moustakas, it was only a matter of time before the Royals turn out more studs. This season we get to preview some of the top prospects in the MLB, including the number one prospect in the league. “I think I am most looking forward to Bobby Witt Jr’s debut…” said Royals superfan and sophomore Alex Howell. Bobby Witt got the call up to the big show while at spring training in Arizona. Witt has put up big numbers in his past few years in the Minors. The former first-rounder had a .283 average and 34 home runs through two seasons with Northwest Arkansas and Omaha, the AA and AAA affiliates of the Royals. He was the preseason frontrunner for the AL Rookie of the Year. 

Returning Players

With the new wave of players coming in, let’s look at the players returning. Salvador Perez and Whit Merrifield are the brand name players that everyone knows. Merrifield is coming off an incredible season leading the league with 40 stolen bases and making the American League All-Star roster. 

Perez is coming off his best season in his career, slugging a league-leading 48 home runs, easily walking away with the Silver Slugger award for the catching position. One under-the-radar player for the Royals this year is Andrew Benintendi. So far this season he is batting .388 through 14 games. His glove in left field is a plus plus glove. Any ball that is hit to him will most likely be caught. 

Last year, the Royals finished 74-88 and 4th in the AL Central. This year the Royals will look to make a good run at the playoffs. “We’re definitely going to do better than last year, I would say 3rd place above the Tigers and the Guardians then I am going to say 79-83.” Howell said. The boys in blue haven’t made the postseason in 7 years so making them this year can set the stage for the years to come.

As the season starts, the Royals look to make a case as a legitimate team in the league this year. They have the talent to do so it’s a matter of when they get hot and if they can maintain that temperature. Last year they showed glimmers of hope and with the new talent coming in, the Royals could be a dark horse for the postseason. With new uniforms and new hope, the squad looks to make the 2022 season one to remember.