‘Joking Hazard’ mindless fun

Megan+Pham%2C+Aysiah+Loving%2C+Evan+Kauffman%2C+juniors%2C+and+Peyton+Mosher+and+Christian+Cortes%2C+seniors%2C+gathered+at+Starbucks+during+winter+break+to+play+Joking+Hazard.++The+students+got+to+enjoy+coffee+while+playing+the+card+game.+

Peyton Mosher

Megan Pham, Aysiah Loving, Evan Kauffman, juniors, and Peyton Mosher and Christian Cortes, seniors, gathered at Starbucks during winter break to play Joking Hazard. The students got to enjoy coffee while playing the card game.

Christian Cortes, Entertainment Editor

“That’s really funny!” “Ok, that escalated quickly,” “That’s really dark,” are all phrases one could hear when a bunch of people get together and play Joking Hazard.

Joking Hazard is a hilarious card game made by the creators of the web comic “Cyanide and Happiness” in which players put together individual comic panels to see who can create the funniest and most creative comic strip.

The idea for the game came from a random comic generator the creators had on their website, where random comic panels would be put together to create funny comic strips. They printed off some of the panels from the comic generator and realized they could make a fun game out of it.

The game comes with 350 different cards, each featuring two drawn characters in different situations and 10 blank cards where players can draw their own comic panel.

“It’s an interesting twist on games like Apples to Apples and Cards Against Humanity,” Evan Kauffman, junior, said. “It’s more interpretative because it has pictures.”

You need at least three people to play the game. Each player gets seven cards and a judge is chosen. The judge picks a card from a stack and pairs it with one of his own cards. Players then need to choose a third card the goes along with the first two to create a punchline. The judge picks the funniest card, the winner keeps their card for scorekeeping, everyone gets seven cards again and a new judge is chosen for the next turn.

“The game is really fun, and a little different,” Aysiah Loving, junior, said. “However I wish you could play it with less people. You can’t play it if you only have two players.”

Another way to play the game is by trying to create a continuous comic by adding more and more cards, and letting players veto cards that make no sense.

The game relies heavily on the players’ creativity and sense of humor, which can be a good or a bad thing. Some people will be amused by the many cards featuring the two characters beating each other up or farting while others will find them gross or unamusing.

The cards are all well designed with clear drawings and made with a sturdy material.

One problem with the game is that, even though there are 350 different cards, a group of players can go through the whole deck in a few rounds and the game can become repetitive. The same cards will show up, and there are only so many different combinations of cards that make sense and are funny.

Another problem is that often times players will find themselves with no cards that fit the situation presented by the judge.

However, players are allowed to switch their seven cards for new ones twice per game, and the rules can always be altered by the players to find ways to avoid such situations.

Joking Hazard is a fun game to play and, while the appeal of the game might not be long-lasting, it’s a fun way to spend time with friends and have a laugh.

“The game was really funny and I feel like I connected with the people I played it with,” Loving said.