Vaccines help save lives and prevent diseases

Elijah Nichols, Reporter

Vaccines are essential for all people. If vaccines were not helpful, then scientists would not spend so much time and money researching and advancing the study into vaccines.

Vaccines do not only provide individual protection for those who are vaccinated, but they can also offer community protection by reducing the spread of disease within a population. If the transmitting case only comes in contact with immune individuals, then the disease does not spread beyond the index case and is rapidly controlled within the population.

Bioengineering and Genetics teacher, Kirstin Ramshaw said “you should get vaccinated because it is not about you, it is about those who can not” be vaccinated like cancer patients and babies.

Your vaccination helps protect those who cant against potentially fatal illnesses. Vaccinations are proven to be safe and effective. Vaccination protects those you love by helping reduce the spread of diseases.

Senior Garrett Frentrop added that vaccines “are a good thing, they protect children and the elderly”

Interestingly, this chain of human-to-human transmission can be interrupted, even if there is not 100% immunity, because transmitting cases do not have unlimited contacts. This is referred to as herd immunity or community protection, and is an essential benefit of vaccination “so little babies do not die, or cancer patients. It is herd immunity” said Ramshaw.

Recently the United School District 223 required students to have an up to date record of vaccines to be allowed to come to school. Many students agreed it is the right thing to do and those who choose not to be vaccinated are not doing their part to help keep the schools safe. Ramshaw said “it is [an individual’s] choice to not be scientifically literate” and ignore the facts.

Senior, Tony Hampton told his genetics class that “ there is no down side to vaccinating, it is proven by science to help.” He further added, “ vaccines do not create autism” unlike how some people believe.

Vaccination protects children from serious illness and complications of vaccine-preventable diseases which can include amputation of an arm or leg, paralysis of limbs, hearing loss, convulsions, brain damage, and death. Vaccine-preventable diseases, such as measles, mumps, and whooping cough, are still a threat and can be contained if everyone who can get vaccinated does.

Do your part and get vaccinated. You getting vaccinated is not only saving yourself bt also all of those who cannot because of variety of reasons.