Dawn of new fashion age: VSCO girls

Faith Holliday, Business Manager

In January of 2019, the term “VSCO girl” was coined by Youtuber Greer Jones. After the popularization of the social media app “Tik-tok” in the summer of 2019, VSCO girls took the world by storm.

Girls who attend South were polled, and out of 43 students, 35 said they were not VSCO girls , three said they were, and five said they might be.

Freshman Jordyn Caler thinks she has some characterstics of a VSCO girl, but she does not consider herself one.

“Basically they love turtles, scrunchies, Hydro Flasks, metal straws, oversized t-shirts, and vans or crocs,” Caler said.

Sophomore Mikayla Skaggs believes that girls who share similar interests or styles should not neseccarily be grouped together into a steortype.

“Just because I have what they have doesn’t mean I’m one or they are one,” Skaggs said.

Although girls are told to express themselves through their clothing, sophomore Mischa Gluckman says there are double standards.

“Adults encourage individuality, but then sometimes go back and say that some girls aren’t dressing appropriately,” Gluckman said.

Sophomore Simone Haake agrees that teenage girls are oppressed by the way they are told to dress.

“No matter how much progress we think we’ve made, in reality, we are trapped in the same time masked by new technology,” Haake stated.

Others believe that teenage girls only dress to fit in.

“I think teenage girls do everything in their power to fit in, especially in high school,” sophomore Aleah Wallace said.

Freshman Emma Foland enjoys expressing herself through popular and unpopular clothing.

“I dress the way that I want to and I don’t dress the way other people do just to be cool,” Foland said.