Students volunteer to help others

Hannah Holliday, Feature Editor

With the holidays around the corner, several students are already in the giving spirit.

Sydney Rottinghaus and Brenda Santiago, juniors, are leading DECA’s project to help the Jadon’s Hope Foundation. Jadon’s Hope is a “local organization, started by the parents of a Rolling Ridge elementary student with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy).” SMA is the number one inherited genetic killer of kids under two.

The foundation helps to fund research and support families.

Students can get involved by attending events such as a food truck gathering. A trivia night is in the works for some time in January.

Rottinghaus also volunteers at the New Hope Mobile Food Pantry.

To anyone considering volunteering, Rottinghaus says to “take a risk and try it” because “it’s very rewarding once you find a cause you truly care about.”

The food pantry is always accepting new volunteers. More information can be found on their website.

Peyton Fair, junior, volunteers at the Johnson County Christmas Bureau and at Mission Southside during summer and winter break. She volunteers because she enjoys “giving back to the community and helping others.”

Josepha Kamseu, senior, enjoys “seeing the smiles of kids and their parents” as she volunteers at her church and at the Gardener Church of the Nazarene. She enjoys helping out with kids, meeting new people, and helping out the community.

There are many opportunities for students to volunteer at school. Visit the counseling office for more information.