Volleyball team finishes season 11-17

Maddie Black, Reporter

Varsity volleyball’s overall record for the season is 11-17. 

Maddison Bishop, senior, said, “this season I was really excited to see all the same girls from last year and to meet new ones!” She played on the JV team during her freshmen year, but then played for the varsity team her last three years. Bishop says that the team this year is “very dedicated and strives to become better every day.” 

She also said this year’s team is very close and are really good friends. She is playing beach volleyball in college at Carson Newman University and says she is very excited. 

Jordan Burton, junior, has been on the varsity team for the last three years. She also said that the team is very committed to getting better. “We are a pretty good serving team, which helps keep other teams out of system,” said Burton. 

Burton believes that the team is like a “second family.” The team spends 15 hours  each week practicing and “like all families we argue but in the end, we all work it out,” said Burton. Burton plans on playing in college but is not committed anywhere. “I’m hoping by spring/summer of 2019 that I will be committed somewhere” said Burton. 

Taylor Duncan, junior, is a new face on the varsity team this season. She was very excited for the home games this year and is looking forward to hearing support from the home crowd. She also said that the team has “good chemistry” and have a lot of fun together. Duncan is not planning on playing in college, instead devoting her focus towards getting her teaching degree.

Burton says that competitive volleyball “is all tournaments and the tournaments are usually out of town and for three days.” She also said that competitive volleyball is a lot more intense than school volleyball.