BSU accepts all students

Tristan Allen, Editor-in-Chief

Last year, several students started the Black Students Union (BSU): a club dedicated to discussing pressing issues for minorities both at school and in society.

Despite the name, the club is open to all students, regardless of race. The BSU also represents racial minorities other than African-Americans.

The BSU had their first meeting Sept. 13 in room 416 during session A of Falcon 50. Kim Wahaus, social studies teacher, is the sponsor of the group. John Dawkins, Kali Mezgebu and Leah Tariku, seniors, are leading the group this year.

Mezgebu thinks students should join the club because it acts as a “safe haven” for minority students.

“A lot of kids don’t have a voice,” Dawkins said, also as to why students should join BSU.

The club will talk about issues facing minorities at school and in the community, do community service and support minority-owned businesses. They also have t-shirts this year, and might go on a field trip.

During the first meeting, the BSU recruited members, introduced themselves to each other, and collected contact information to form a group chat. This chat can be used to share interesting articles to discuss at future meetings or to vent about any experiences students have as minorities at school.

At the time of this article, the BSU is mainly made up of seniors. Even though the first meeting already happened, they are still looking to recruit new members, especially students not graduating this year.

To find out more about the BSU, information can be found in Wahaus’s in room (416).

Information can also be located on the BSU’s Twitter account: @oshsBSU.