Single organ donation helps save eight lives

Rachel Pierson, Reporter

Eight lives can be saved by an organ donation. Regardless of age, people should become organ donors to have the chance to save someone’s life.

Currently, a little more than 123,000 are people waiting for an organ in the United States.

According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 79 people receive organ transplants each day.

Unfortunately, thousands of people will die waiting for their much-needed organ. In fact, 18 people die each day waiting for transplants.

According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, “Last year alone, organ donors made more than 28,000 transplants possible.”

Mireya Vallina, a kidney recipient from Miami, Fla., shared on organdonor.gov that she felt there was no hope for her, but now she “provides hope to those who are waiting for the gift of life” because she received a kidney transplant.

How can a student become an organ donor?

The first step is enrolling in a state donor registry or signing the back of one’s driver’s license.

Now is the perfect time for students who are just receiving their licenses and even for those who have their licenses already.

Over 100 million people are currently registered in the United States.

Deceased donors can give organs such as kidneys, pancreas, liver, lungs, heart, and intestines.

They can also provide tissues such as bones, skin and veins.

However living donors can provide a kidney or a portion of the liver, lung or intestine.

All life is precious, and donors should realize that giving an organ could have a huge impact on a recipient, who can have a new life thanks to a donation.

A common myth about organ donation is that age matters.

However, it doesn’t matter what age the organ donor is. Both babies and senior citizens can donate their organs and tissues if they are in healthy condition.

However, one might be surprised to learn that most health conditions will not inhibit a person’s chance of becoming an organ donor.

Although some organs might not be suitable for donation, some organs/tissues may be viable.

Other myths include that doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save a life if one is an organ donor or that a doctor might declare an organ donor dead before it’s appropriate.

However, all doctors are obligated to save a patient’s life.

According to dmv.org, more tests are given to determine official death on organ donors than on those who aren’t organ donors.

Most religions accept organ donation as an act of charity and love.

However, becoming an organ donor is a personal decision and should be taken seriously.

Regardless of age, people should become organ donors to have the chance to save someone’s life.

Enroll in your state donor registry and sign that drivers license.