Math students show off their skills at contests

Mara Gee, Reporter

Math team members proved their skills in a couple competitions recently.

April 10 was an all day competition for them at Pittsburg State University (PSU). PSU hosted 55 schools and nearly 1,100 students, making the event highly competetive.

The competition consisted of relays, in which teams of four had about five minutes for each member to answer a math problem without discussing it as a team.

Even though teams competed in relays, all the scoring was based on the performance of the individual. Robbie Krzykowski, Drake Prebyl, Alex Schmidt, seniors; and Dylan Stanley, sophomore, won medals in their categories.

The math team also participated in the Olathe Math Battle on April 25 at Olathe North after school. All five Olathe schools compete against each other in sub teams composed of students in the same grade.

The team has won the competition eight out of the nine years since its establishment, this time with a score of 169.75 points.

Kate Schmidt, junior, worked with Prebyl and Natalie Roberts on the senior team and placed second overall. Logan George, Griffin Minter, and Eve Wright, juniors, won the grade level and placed fourth overall. Carolyn Wilson, Jillian Otero, and Stanley, members of the sophomore team, who also won the grade level, placed third overall.

The event was split into two parts. First, members had to complete a “long multiple choice test,” John Hail, math team sponsor, said. The test covered a multitude of categories that the teams could split up in the 25 minutes given to complete it.

Next, a question was projected on the screen for the teams to work though and answer. If answered correctly, the teams were given more points towards the overall score.