New NHS members are inducted

Gabby Turvey

Students signing and accepting their certificate at the NHS induction ceremony.

Megan Pham, Reporter

Walking up on stage to receive a long awaited award and signing a book that has been there since the society was first created— that was what the newly inducted members for National Honor Society (NHS) did at their induction for new members on Tuesday, April 17.

It was located in the auditorium, and a total of 107 students were inducted, mostly juniors and a few seniors.

“It’s a way to recognize and celebrate the achievements of students that have met the three requirements: the 20 service hours, the 3.6 GPA, and the clean behaviors record,” Marci Gibbens, NHS sponsor, said.

Students arrived early in order to organize themselves and practice before the ceremony started. The event began at 7 p.m. and started with Candy Birch, assistant principal, greeting the audience.

“She has a greeting that she does that celebrates how many hours in total that all the members completed and what were some of the highlights,” Gibbens said.

After the greeting, there was a keynote speech from Gail Holder, a former English teacher that now works for the administration in the district.

Then, the five officers of NHS talked about the four pillars of NHS: scholarship, leadership, service, and character.

Finally, the inductees recited a pledge that was printed on the back of the program that was handed out at the beginning.

“Their names were called, they came and shook my hand, got a certificate, signed the book, and then exited to sit back down,” Gibbens said.

When the ceremony was finished, a small treat table outside in the commons served cookies and lemonade.

According to Gibbens, there was no huge challenges in arranging this event. “The secretaries in the office are always very helpful in getting things set up, getting our table cloth. I think the most challenging thing is trying to make sure to get everyone’s hours, that everyone is included in the program, and double checking all the different fonts,” she said.