Concert jazzes up band barbeque

Indian Trail Middle School students performing at the jazz band bbq event on April 24.

Southside Jazz band had a barbeque concert on April 24 to end the year.

The entirety of the jazz band and any of their relatives, close friends, etc. were invited to the celebration, as well as students from the feeder Frontier Trail, Chisholm Trail, and Indian Trail middle schools.

Zak Pischnotte, Washburn professor, played alongside the middle and high students.

Southside Jazz played seven songs in three sets, and each middle school played in between the three sets.

Every year, the Jazz band tries to play something recognizable to the audience. This year, they played the theme to “Night Court.”  Harry Anderson, “Night Court” actor, died the week before, so the performance had some unanticipated weight.

The food for the event was supplied by a caterer.

The Southside Jazz barbeque was located in the commons after school, and it was held from 6 – 7:30 p.m.

At the barbecue, they served either a pulled pork sandwich or a brisket sandwich along with  baked beans and potatoes.

Seniors in Jazz Band enjoyed their second to last concert at Olathe South. They have their last concert on May 14.

“I look forward to [the Southside Jazz band barbeque] every year,” Mikayla Boyd, junior, said. She liked the music she played and the food served.