Briefs: DECA, Robotics Competition, Endure Club

DECA

Thirteen DECA students received awards at the recent DECA competition March 4-6 at the Marriott in Overland Park.

Alec Sappenfield, senior; Olivia Miller, Peyton Fair, Alexi Fischer, Morgan Kern, Sydney Rottinghaus and Brenda Santiago, sophomores, all qualified for the DECA international competition, which will be held on April 21-25 in Atlanta, Ga.

In addition to the students who qualified for internationals, several students made it onstage for awards.

They include Thomas Nguyen, senior; Emily Cords, Kirsten Jackson, juniors; Annabelle Daugherty, Ashley Gregg and Carlie Terry, sophomores, along with Fischer, Kern, Santiago-Ramos and Miller, who also placed in the top 10 but for a different event.

Robotics Competition

The Robotics Club recently competed at a competition at the Business and Technology Campus of Metropolitan Community College in Kansas City, Mo., where the team placed 20th out of 45 teams and was top 15 in offensive scoring and in the top 30 in autonomous robot control.

The team had to deal with many difficult challenges. The robot was the most complex robot the team has ever had to build with the least experienced team.

They had a strong showing and nearly met all of their goals as they improved.

Endure Club

Endure Club provides students with time to connect with others of their faith, partake in praise and worship, hear guest speakers and watch faith-filled videos every Friday from 7:20 a.m. to 7:50 a.m. in the room of Laurie Plankers, sponsor.

Starting a Christian faith club “has been a dream” of Maya Burke’s, junior, for a long time.

Burke’s favorite part of the club is hearing everyone sing while “lifting up joyful noises” during praise and worship.