The Eyrie

South grad on staff with Green Bay

Nate Weir, athletic trainer, is shown above supervising the conditioning of Green Bay Packers players,  Vince Biegel and Demetri Goodson. Weir has worked with the Packers as an athletic trainer for a combined total of 17 years.

Nate Weir, athletic trainer, is shown above supervising the conditioning of Green Bay Packers players, Vince Biegel and Demetri Goodson. Weir has worked with the Packers as an athletic trainer for a combined total of 17 years.

Evan Siegle from the Green Bay Packers

Evan Siegle from the Green Bay Packers

Evan Kauffman, Reporter

A former Olathe South graduate, Nate Weir, athletic trainer, spends his days helping the professional athletes for the Green Bay Packers.

Graduating from Olathe South in 2001, Weir attended college at Central College in Pella, IA.

During his Summer going into his senior year of college, Weir’s program director, John Rosland, helped him find an opportunity to intern for an NFL team.

In 2005, 2006 and 2007, Weir interned for the Packers for the football season.

“About 300 students apply [to intern] yearly,” Weir said, “and only six are chosen.”

After his time doing seasonal internship work, Weir began working for the Packers as an athletic trainer in 2007, bringing his total time spent with the team to 13 NFL seasons this year.

Part of Weir’s job includes the atmosphere given off by the athletes and the trainers.

“It is a structured atmosphere as far as scheduling. There is a lot of give and take working with the players. We are pretty loose and pretty fun, but serious at the same time,” Weir said.

Overall, Weir spends more time at the stadium then he does at home sometimes with his family.

“It’s like my second family,” Weir said.

Memories of Olathe South still resonate in Weirs mind, even after 17 years. Such as his memories of playing soccer with his friends.

“To this day I still have a good relationship with some of the [Olathe South] players,” Weir said.

Additionally, another one of Weir’s favorite memories included working selecting the music in the commons during lunch.

Some advice for students looking to the join the NFL is to “put forth the effort or work into yourself,” Weir said. As well as, to be “not just smart… [but] being well rounded.”