LGBT students want respect

Lauri Hoedl, Reporter

Although being openly gay is more common now than in earlier generations, there are still many obstacles that come along with being an openly LGBT student.

Cole McBride, junior, has been involved in swim team and has done gymnastics, and he is openly gay.

McBride said that although he does not feel singled out, “it can get annoying with some gay jokes.” McBride said, “I would like the majority to know that I’m not ashamed of myself, and I’m actually proud of how far I’ve come and how comfortable I am with myself.”

Calley Kuhn, senior, is also openly gay. Kuhn’s said her advice to the majority is “don’t determine someone’s sexuality based on looks. Let them tell you.”

McBride advises any minority to “know themselves better than anyone else, and to just be confident in who they are” along with “to not be afraid of doing certain things like speaking just because you’re a minority.”

Savannah Gooch, senior, said she has dealt with negative situations because she is bisexual.

Gooch said “guys come up to me and make crude comments about me being bi. Most of the comments are sexual in nature.”

When it comes to faculty, McBride, and Kuhn said they do not believe they are looked at differently or that they do not believe their sexuality is known.

Gooch, on the other hand, has felt singled out because of her bisexuality.

Gooch said, “Certain teachers ask me to keep my hands off people because they don’t know if I’m flirting or showing PDA when I hug my best friends.”

Ethan Christiansen, junior, and Kuhn both stressed the message that just because someone is different, does not mean they should be treated differently.

It is important that all students, no matter their sexuality, are treated with respect and inclusion.