Hispanics feel socially misinterpreted

Aysiah Loving, Reporter

Over the years, Hispanics (in particular Mexican Americans) have been socially misinterpreted in this country.

These issues go beyond politics. Some Hispanic students are uncomfortable at times and the feel misunderstood when going through the course of an average school day.

“I’ve always felt different. I knew I was a minority the moment I realized that from K-12 grade I’ve never been taught by someone who wasn’t white,” Emily Salinas, senior, said.

A minority student goes through obstacles that much of the majority does not understand. In particular, the family dynamic may be unlike a typical Caucasian family.

Since Salinas is a first generation Mexican American, her parents were born in Mexico, but she, in America. So she has a great deal of pressure to go to college and “make a name” for herself.

“My friends who aren’t Hispanic rarely understand that pressure,” Salinas said.

In many instances, Hispanics are prejudged due to their race. Some instances aren’t as apparent as others. These less obvious acts of racism are known as micro-aggression. According to Buzzfeed, micro-aggression involves brief and commonplace daily verbal, behavioral or environmental indignities that communicate hostile, derogatory or racial slights and insults toward people of color.

“It was at a college expo night Latinos in Olathe and ALAS had been invited to. This teacher came up to me and told me that I should solely focus on community colleges because that is where most Hispanic grads go to. Needless to say, my mom was not having it. In the car she said to me, ‘Emily, you can go wherever the hell you want because I believe in you,’” Salinas said.

In this case, the teacher was most likely approaching Salinas with helpful intentions, but her presumption that Hispanics are only limited to certain capabilities was prejudiced and unprofessional. Salinas didn’t have an issue with looking at community colleges, but she was offended that the teacher assumed that community college was her only option.

Due to negative stereotypes regarding Mexican Americans, Salinas mentioned that social science classes should teach more about Hispanic culture.

“I would love to see the future generation educated in what modern day Mexico looks like,” Salinas said.

Salinas encourages those in the majority to invest time in expanding their mindset. To end micro-aggression and make all races feel united, the first step is to become aware and understand other cultures.

It’s essential to understand other cultures and accept difference. “I believe that everyone is beautiful in their own way—every culture, every race, every color,” Salinas said.