Asian minority wants equality

Lauri Hoedl, Reporter

Racial stereotypes are damaging and can often affect minority groups in schools.

When discussing being an Asian minority with some students, the general consensus was that though racial stereotypes do exist, they do not feel singled out at school for their race.

They are the equal to any other student of any other race.

Sarah Porter, senior, said, “I’m the same as everyone else: I work hard, I study, I do the best that I can.”

The idea that people of Asian race are always geniuses is common, harmful stereotype Jenny Sun, senior, wants the majority to know, on behalf of all Asian Americans, that “the ‘model minority’ doesn’t exist and just because ‘being smart’ is our stereotype doesn’t make it any less damaging than any other racial stereotype.”

Stereotyping Asian students as being smart solely adds pressure to the students and holds them to higher, not necessarily equal expectations.

Neither Sun nor Porter feel as though their teachers treat them differently.

Sun said she felt it in middle school, but does not feel treated differently here.

Porter advised others to think before speaking. It is important for people to watch what they say because race and stereotypes are not a joking matter, Sun said she believes conversation is a key factor in advising the majority.

Sun said, “In order to take the other side into consideration, they need to understand the other side.” Empathy and knowledge are key factors for the majority to consider.

Overall, it is important to remember that every person is more than just a stereotype, and minority groups are just as important in the school as any other group.