Recitation competitions bring students together with verse

The students who competed in the school’s annual Shakespeare recitation contest included the following: first row: Spencer Foster, junior; Jillian Otero, sophomore; Aliyah Pullin, freshman; Antione Sanders, junior; Leah Tariku, junior; second row: Max Pardo, freshman; Alexi Fisher, sophomore; Khadija Ceesay, junior; Jenny Sun, senior, and Lauri Hoedl, senior. third row: Claire Lewis, junior. Lindsay Birdge, Senior.

Faith Holliday, Reporter

Results are in for the December recitation contests.

The Poetry Out Loud (POL) competition took place during seminar on Dec. 7. Twelve students in total participated.

Caroline Harshbarger, junior, came in first and has advanced to the regional competition, which will take place at 10 a.m on Feb. 3 in the school’s Media Center.

Harshbarger recited “And Soul” by Eavan Boland. “Though I cannot personally relate to this poem, I was able to mentally place myself in the skin of a girl who has suffered great loss and eventually rises up, triumphant and hopeful, for she will always have her mother in the rain,” Harshbarger stated.

Harshbarger encourages her fellow students to participate in the poetry competition next year.

“The joy I have found in recitation is something I want everyone to experience. Public speaking will always be a factor in the future professions we all choose, so you might as well practice it among friends,” Harshbarger said.

Kathryn Beckingham, senior, placed second, and Chealsie Crum, junior, earned third.

The annual Shakespeare recitation contest took place on Dec. 15, and it was an important event for theatre and English students alike.

Aliyah Pullin, freshman, came in first and will participate in the ESU Kansas City branch competition, which will be held on Feb. 25 at the Plaza Library.

Pullin chose the “Frailty Thy Name is Woman” monologue from Act I Scene II from “Hamlet.”

“I find dramatic monologues fun and interesting to play. Hamlet is a confused soul who is so full of teenage angst, and I think we all could relate to some aspect of him,” Pullin said.

Although Pullin gets nerves before performing, she has found ways to cope with them.

“Once I get on stage, I try my best to completely become the character. When I do that I typically forget that there’s anyone else in the room,” Pullin said.

Khadija Ceesay, junior, came in second, and Lauri Hoedl, senior, came in third.

All first, second, and third place winners received gift bags.