The Eyrie

• March 13The 5268 Biotech Falcons finished in 20th place after the Heartland Regional qualifying rounds March 9-11.

• March 13The girls basketball team took their sub-state and made their 14th appearance at the state tournament.

• March 1390+ orchestra students travelled to Chicago March 12-15; performed at The Field Museum.

• March 13School to get new WiFi over Spring Break. Stay tuned.

Conditioning prepares athletes for the season to come

Maddie Smith, Reporter

Whether or not it is during the competition season or the off-season, students involved in sports are constantly working to improve. Upcoming sports that students are preparing for include softball, girls swimming and track.

Coach Mike Allen, softball, holds conditioning three times a week. The workout begins with warmups they will use in practice if they were to make the team.

Allen said that “it gets them prepared for what’s to come” and that “it helps the girls get to know each other and bond.”

While the conditioning is not required, it is highly encouraged for girls who would like to be on the softball team.

Some girls who are involved with the swim team condition during the boys’ season. There are many different workouts the girls can do to get prepared.

Two girls come in to do cross fit training, which focuses on their arm and leg strength. The girls do rope workouts, box jumps, bench presses, squats and lunges.

They are focusing on arms and legs in order to try to increase strength and speed.

Girls can also be involved with a club team, which can be very beneficial due to the fact that it helps them stay prepared during the off season.

The conditioning is not mandatory, but the girls who do come in, are working towards bettering themselves for the season.

Students involved in track are also conditioning in the off season. The different types of events each condition a little differently.

Distance runners run every day, focusing on maintaining their endurance. They try to run five to eight miles a day.

Jumpers and sprinters focus on agility, strength, form and speed. Their main goal is fine tuning and increasing their speed.

Upwards of 60 students are conditioning for the track season at the moment.