Jim Bradford lectures about mass communications

Megan Pham, Reporter

Jim Bradford, director of communications at the Olathe Chamber of Commerce, presented a lecture about mass communications in the Black Box theater on Nov. 30.

The Olathe Chamber of Commerce helps bring networking opportunities to businesses in Olathe through unique events that they run.

The lecture focused on the importance of networking with professionals and other skills essential for success in the workplace.

Bradford used to work in journalism and was a sports editor for The Olathe News. He also used to be in charge of the Olathe School District’s Twitter and Facebook accounts.

“A lot of the things that go into being a good interviewer and networking have a lot to do with the social media side of what I do with the Chamber of Commerce,” Bradford said.

Bradford believes that the skills to become a good interviewer are a lost art. He suggests potential interviewers to relax, be available, and listen. Also, he said that the better the rapport with the person, the better the interview will be.

“Just relax. Relax and be comfortable with them, and they will be comfortable with you. If you’re honest with them, they’re going to be honest with you,” Bradford said.

If the interviewee is comfortable, it is a sure way for a smoother interview and a better rapport with that interviewee. However, not all stories will appeal to everyone.

“Sometimes you’re going to write something that’s not very favorable, somebody may not like. If you do that, make yourself available,” he said.

While it’s important to be available, trust is also vital for a successful interview.

Trust goes a long way, and Bradford explained that if the interviewee trusts the interviewer that means that they trust that the interviewer will not take their words out of context and that trust is imperative in getting that rapport with an interviewee.

“Make sure you’re thick-skinned enough to take constructive criticism and make sure you in your mind realize it is constructive criticism and not them just lashing out at you,” Bradford said.

Networking is vital, and one should be well versed in all social media platforms.

“You need to be able to work in these platforms because there are one out of two people that are on a platform you’re not comfortable with,” Bradford said.

Bradford also cautioned to be careful online. He compares being online to fresh snow. No matter how someone online tries to get rid of their tracks, they can’t, and everyone can still see it.

Abby Morris, sophomore, attended the PCA lecture and thought it useful because it would help her and her fellow classmates how to interview.

“I learned the different ways to be successful,” Morris said, “and how on social media you leave footprints.”