The blood drive returns in full force

Abbey Roschak, Reporter

The Community Blood Center Annual Blood Drive took place on Nov. 10 from 7:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. in the auxiliary gym. Their goal was 135 units; they collected 128 pints.

Students had to have a pass to leave class; if the pass was forgotten, they had to sign up as a walk-in during passing period.

Staff members were given a fast pass, which allowed them to be in and out as soon as possible.

Anyone who was 16 and wanted to donate had to have a parent permission slip to make an appointment.

Passes with water bottles were distributed on Thursday, Nov. 9, during second, fourth and sixth hours only.

“Someone in the Kansas City Metro area needs a blood transfusion every four minutes. The typical whole blood donation process takes about 50 minutes. That’s 12 transfusions needed in the time it takes for you to donate,” Angela Verstraete, SASH sponsor, said.

The lives of 256 hospital patients will be affected by the generosity of Olathe South donors.

Students could sign up online, or see a Students Achieving Social Harmony (SASH) member at the sign-up tables during lunch.

“Thank you to the P.E. department for giving me their space for the day. You guys rock,” Verstraete said.

The blood drive’s community sponsors were Culver’s of Olathe, who donated coupons for everyone participating, Hy-Vee on 151st and Black Bob, who donated baked goods, and Papa John’s on 135th & Mur-Len, who donated 25 pizzas.