Yoga Club offers relaxation

Megan Gates, Reporter

The Yoga Club has recently been introduced to students this year.

The club was founded by Emily Schwindt, freshman, with Lauren Hannon, English teacher, as the adviser.

The Yoga Club meets every first and third Wednesday of the month in the Black Box theater during session B of Falcon 50.

As of Oct. 4, 13 students have come to Yoga Club sessions.

Students who would like to join Yoga Club do not need to have experience prior to joining; the club goes through routines for all levels of experience.

Schwindt and other group members had to come up with the idea and asked Hannon to be their adviser.

To create the club, Schwindt first had to fill out an application from the front office and get Hannon’s “okay” and sign the sponsor form.

Hannon then had to reserve the Black Box theater, then put the information on the announcements that broadcast to the whole school.

Schwindt and a few of the other members made signs to help with advertising.

Both Schwindt and Hannon reached out to students spreading the word about Yoga Club.

Hannon encourages people to get into yoga because “it’s a good way for someone to get healthy without the stress of being on a sports team.”

Schwindt encourages people to get into yoga because it helps deal with stress, and it increases flexibility and strength.

Students also don’t need to have any equipment; students are welcome to bring a beach towel as a mat.

Yoga Club also has a few extra mats available for students who forget to bring their own mat or beach towel.

Yoga Club uses YouTube videos for their “flows,” having the instructors on the videos lead the club.

Hannon said that her favorite yoga pose is the scorpion and the crow while Schwindt’s favorite pose is the warrior.

Hannon and Schwindt also do yoga for the relaxation and other benefits that yoga has to offer.

Hannon said that the most relaxing thing about yoga is “being in the moment and focusing on poses and the body’s movement.”

The most relaxing thing about yoga to Schwindt is that yoga connects her mind to her body.

Yoga Club helps students with other things besides stress relief.

The benefits of doing yoga are flexibility, strength, stress relief, and being a part of a non-judgmental group.