Students help with Ally Week

Hannah Holliday, Reporter

For Students Achieving Social Harmony/Gay Straight Alliance club members, Oct. 8-14 was a very busy week. It was proclaimed as Ally Week, a week for the community to join together in support of LGBTQ students at the school.

On Monday, SASH/GSA members got to school early and were assigned a hallway to adorn with positive quotes and drawings written on sticky notes.

There was a photo booth in the commons where students could take selfies to show their support for the LGBTQ community.

Wednesday the halls were filled with rainbows as allies wore their favorite colors/rainbow-themed clothes.

On Thursday, students met SASH/GSA members in the Falcons Nest before school for pride face painting.

According to Angi Verstraete, SASH/GSA club sponsor, “Most [students] are very receptive to the idea that we should be allies for others.” She thinks Ally Week “promotes tolerance and acceptance” and “creates community within our walls.”

The approximately 25 members of SASH/GSA club meet around once a month during second session of Falcon 50. Anyone interested in participating should see Angi Verstraete or any of the three club officers Maryssa Rollin, Jessica Von Lunen, and Ryan O’Grady, for more information on how to get involved.